Car charging point at home

However they were going to get the power to the proper charger, they can do the same to fit a proper external socket. Needs to be on a suitable circuit though as 2kw constant draw is no small load. Many people are against "the granny lead" because the infra it often gets plugged into is not up to the job. Spark will tell you though.
The ‘proper’ charger is wired straight into where the meter is isn’t it?
Considered the ex30, but wanted the twin motor and ultimate spec and lead time was far too long. Nice enough car, but not sure about it for longer trips.

Last edited:
I might appear to be a bit thick, but if I decide to have a charging point fitted at home, do I have to have a smart meter, which I haven't got at present ?

With it being a hybrid the battery is only 13.8kw.
Miles can vary from 5 to 500 depending in where I have to go for work. That’s why I got a hybrid.

So am I right in thinking a 2kw 3 pin charger would charge it from 0% in 7 hours?
Problem is despite parking being right next to the meter there isn’t any sockets anywhere near it to create an external socket from, and don’t fancy running it off an extension cable from another socket.
We also have free charging points at Team Valley i could utilise.

With a charging point though can you not get preferential electricity rates for overnight charging?

You don’t need one as you have a small battery, but you are either about the preferential rates.

We often get 12-15 hours of cheap electric just by plugging the car in and letting octopus generate a charge schedule. Doesn’t matter what charge the car has already.

Then your whole house runs at that cheap rate.

As a guide our normal rate is 29.58p per kWh normal rate and 7.5p per kWh cheap rate.

Do some sums and see if it would benefit you.

Company has agreed to pay for the installation of the charging point.

Some companies like pod point let you then gain access to their chargers. Any idea who's charger is best (around 7kw) and network?

Back