Car allowance advice

I’d say not. I know a few places that do car allowance for roles which only need a car to get to and from work. It’s a cost saving exercise. Once you’re above a certain salary, the bonus payments or more correctly, the savings made on bonus payments make sense.

Its this tbh. HQ is down south & I'll be doing next to no driving about, apart fron regular visits to HQ. The HR lass on phone said that as I'm "in the sales division" then I get that allowance. So a bit daft in a way seeing I got a decent car (5 series) that's just that bit too old.

Its this tbh. HQ is down south & I'll be doing next to no driving about, apart fron regular visits to HQ. The HR lass on phone said that as I'm "in the sales division" then I get that allowance. So a bit daft in a way seeing I got a decent car (5 series) that's just that bit too old.

It’ll be because of someone like me making a noise about grey fleet. Grey fleet is covered under the HSE now mainly due to the amount of people using their own cars for work.

Have a chat with your new employer and ask if it would be possible for you to provide evidence that the car is taxed, serviced in line with the manufacturers schedule and that you have business insurance in return for them waiving they five year limit.

All the people saying stick a new plate on it - I have to provide my tax, insurance and Mot certs - so they known how old it is. Mind, saying that, mine is supposed to be under 3 years old, but it’s actually 15 years old. I just say the allowance is at enough to pay for a car under 3 years.
You also can’t put a younger plate on a car

Had to sell my perfectly good car when I got a new job as it was 6 year old and the limit on the scheme was 5 year old.

wasn’t turning down the job at all but I was gutted to lose the car. Used the money they’re giving me on top of what I was paying anyway to upgrade to the newer model (albeit the car had just turned 1 year old).

wasn’t too chuffed on having another few years of finance as my other one was nearly paid off.

I would be double checking your business and private mileage rates per mile with the cost of fuel through the roof. Although a company fuel card is the common answer to that.

Alright, anyone on here a sales rep or owt?

Got offered a new job & comes with a decent allowance. They say you have to have a car under 4yr old - great but I only bought a car (thats 5 yr old) in
the summer. Got 10k finance outstanding on it.

Bit of a first world problem obviously but anyone on here got experience of that? Should I sell my car, get a newer one but then have big finance on it that the car allowance should more or less cover? Or is there a cleverer way?

Sorry if daft questions just my first experience of owt like this.
Get private plates and as long as the car is in decent knick shouldn't be a problem as no one will be able to tell.
At our place the car allowance is purely to make sure you get yourself a car and the 4 year thing is to make sure it isn't going to break down all the time or look a state when you turn up to site.
Well apart from the potential tax differences and the possibility of being done/sacked for fraud...aye, same difference
Tax is exactly the same, as far as HMRC are concerned it's just extra salary.

Last edited:

Back