Can anyone work out the % probability for me?

That's not what he asked, he said they pick 10 items, not one, then another, then another, you're making it unnecessarily complicated.
Imagine a big lottery tumbler, with 6000 balls and it drops 10 balls at once - 5% chance (300/1) one of those 10 is one of his 2 items
Its an interesting thought, selecting them all instantaneously.

Should it make a difference to picking them one by one? I don't think so. So I think my version still holds up.

That's not what he asked, he said they pick 10 items, not one, then another, then another, you're making it unnecessarily complicated.

Imagine a big lottery tumbler, with 6000 balls and it drops 10 balls at once - 5% chance (300/1) one of those 10 is one of his 2 items
It doesn't make any difference whether you pick 10 at once or 15 minutes apart.

And 300/1 is not 5%. 20/1 is 5%

It doesn't make any difference whether you pick 10 at once or 15 minutes apart.

And 300/1 is not 5%. 20/1 is 5%

It does, you're talking about chance and probability, they're not the same thing.

If you flip a coin the chances of heads are 50/50 and next time you flip those chances are the same 50/50 and again the next time the odds are still 50/50 BUT the chances/probability of 3 heads in a row are not 50/50 - one is chance, the other is probability.

and 300/1 is 5%

Last edited:
It does, you're talking about chance and probability, they're not the same thing.

If you flip a coin the chances of heads are 50/50 and next time you flip those chances are the same 50/50 and again the next time the odds are still 50/50 BUT the chances/probability of 3 heads in a row are not 50/50 - one is chance, the other is probability.

and 300/1 is 5%
:eek:

Chance and probability are literally two different words for the same thing.

Your coin example (while correct) does not disprove what I said. The odds of one coin flipping tails ten times in a row is exactly the same as the odds of ten coins being flipped at once and all landing on tails.

Please show your workings for how 300/1 is 5%.

:eek:

Chance and probability are literally two different words for the same thing.

Your coin example (while correct) does not disprove what I said. The odds of one coin flipping tails ten times in a row is exactly the same as the odds of ten coins being flipped at once and all landing on tails.

Please show your workings for how 300/1 is 5%.

Chance and probability are not the same thing m8, a common misconception.

6000 ÷ 2 = 3000 ÷ 10 = 300 or 5% of 6000

Chance and probability are not the same thing m8, a common misconception.

6000 ÷ 2 = 3000 ÷ 10 = 300 or 5% of 6000
300 / 6000 is 5%. But 300/1 means something else entirely and is equal to 0.33%.

Chance (the possibility something might happen) might be a slightly broader term than probability (the mathematical calculation of exactly how likely something is to happen) linguistically, but in the way you are using those words above they are interchangeable.

Back