Cameron Green

rentaghost

Striker
Batting 4 for Australia and seen as a generational talent. Am I missing something? Having Smith opening and him at 4 immediately makes them much weaker imo.

This is going to be my Harry Kane thread no doubt

His average in the Sheffield Shield is 55 and I’m sure four is where he bats there, still only 24 as well so plenty of time to improve.

I guess the Aussies think this is a better option than trying one of the many proven failures at international level like Harris, Renshaw or Bancroft to open the batting. Smith has been off the boil (by his standards) for the last 18 months or so as well so he might figure this is a necessary change for him as well.

Batting 4 for Australia and seen as a generational talent. Am I missing something? Having Smith opening and him at 4 immediately makes them much weaker imo.

He was class in the Ashes down there and has definitely stagnated.

I think he still end up averaging 38-42 with bat and 29-33 with the ball.

Was a quality innings.

Went and played Shield cricket instead of the pointless T20 series they just had. Scored 103* in the 4th innings of that shield game.

Mad how playing domestic red ball cricket better prepares someone for playing test cricket than a meaningless white ball series.

Daft they had the T20 series before the test series anyway.

Last edited:

I did find it strange to move Smith from 4 as could never see England moving Root to opener to allow someone to come in at 4

I did find it strange to move Smith from 4 as could never see England moving Root to opener to allow someone to come in at 4
Root wouldn't even consider moving from 4 to 3 when we desperately needed him to, so even if we tried it'd never happen

Back