Cameron Archer - gone on loan to Boro

Wilder was lucky to have Isaiah jones and paddy McNair in the form of their life which helped his strong start and his system, once those two dropped off he was found out. Carrick is getting 100% from everybody and we look a really good side.
He’d have got you right up the table with time. Carrick is doing well, doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be doing similar if you’d stuck with Wilder

He’d have got you right up the table with time. Carrick is doing well, doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be doing similar if you’d stuck with Wilder
From what I’ve heard about Wilder at Boro I think he’d have been sacked before he got Boro playing well. He certainly wasn’t a well lined figure

Not so sure.
I liked Wilder and at the time I thought it was a mistake to sack him.
But, looking back (and seeing the instant transformation with the same players), it's glaringly obvious the players weren't 'playing for him' and there was problems at the club.
He did seem to think nothing was his fault and had a habit of throwing certain players 'under the bus'.
Either way I'm more than happy with his replacement

Not so sure.
But, looking back (and seeing the instant transformation with the same players), it's glaringly obvious the players weren't 'playing for him' and there was problems at the club.
He did seem to think nothing was his fault and had a habit of throwing certain players 'under the bus'.
I’ve been told from someone close to the club that Wilder wasn’t popular around the club. Never bought into being there and constantly whinged about things at the training ground to other members of staff. If someone doesn’t want to be there and it’s that obvious the players are never going to buy in.

From what I’ve heard about Wilder at Boro I think he’d have been sacked before he got Boro playing well. He certainly wasn’t a well lined figure
Not so sure.
Thanks for the info. Not insights I have as I don’t follow Middlesbrough that closely and have only seen them play v Sunderland.

My opinion is mostly based on the xG tables* at the time where they were top 6 for both expected goals and least expected goal against. That would suggest the fundamentals were there and something was amiss. Now that has been corrected they’re tracking that much more closely

*I’ve thought they’re useful since spotting Blackpool were performing really well in them early on in the season they had a late run to promotion in league 1

It was blatantly obvious in the end that the players weren't playing for Wilder. We were 0-3 down at half-time vs Cardiff at home earlier in the season and the players' body language showed that something wasn't right.

Wilder was throwing players under the bus during interviews and things took a turn for the worst last season, when he wouldn't deny being interested in the Burnley job when asked in an interview. Kieran Scott, our Director of Football has since all but confirmed that Wilder was wanting to use the club as a stepping stone and didn't show much loyalty to the club.

It also seemed Wilder hadn't been happy with our summer transfer recruitment. We signed Marcus Forss from Brentford and Wilder described him as a 'development striker', even though the lad had played a key role in Brentfords promotion season. He's been given a chance by Carrick and is doing well and has just started scoring recently.

He also completely dismissed our academy and said that he didn't think any of the academy players were ready to step up. Carrick has been playing a young midfielder called Hayden Hackney and he's been excellent and is now a key player for us.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Not insights I have as I don’t follow Middlesbrough that closely and have only seen them play v Sunderland.

My opinion is mostly based on the xG tables* at the time where they were top 6 for both expected goals and least expected goal against. That would suggest the fundamentals were there and something was amiss. Now that has been corrected they’re tracking that much more closely

*I’ve thought they’re useful since spotting Blackpool were performing really well in them early on in the season they had a late run to promotion in league 1
See, I struggle with xG a little bit. Burnley are absolutely running away with the league and look comfortably the best side in the division. They aren't even in the top 5 for xG in the division despite scoring the most goals (comfortably). They're not in the top 5 for xGA and yet they've conceded only 25 goals (only 2 more than Sheffield United)

Back