Camera lens advice

Looking for a bit of advice please. I have a Nikon D3200 with a Sigma 18 - 250 lens.

Instead of buying a new longer lens can I increase the zoom distance on this lens.

Also are there any good camera clubs about looking to get back into photography on a regular basis.

Looking for a bit of advice please. I have a Nikon D3200 with a Sigma 18 - 250 lens.

Instead of buying a new longer lens can I increase the zoom distance on this lens.

Also are there any good camera clubs about looking to get back into photography on a regular basis.
You can usually use a teleconverter but not sure on this particular camera. The problem is that if you use for example a 2X teleconverter then the maximum aperture value of the lens is decreased by 2 stops.
So in actual practice an f4 would become an f8.

Last edited:
You can usually use a teleconverter but not sure on this particular camera. The problem is that if you use for example a 2X teleconverter then the maximum aperture value of the lens is decreased by 2 stops.
So in actual practice an f4 would become an f8.

This.

Teleconverters will multiply it (they sit between the lens and the camera body), but you will get less light in and a slightly poorer image, so if you are thinking of wildlife etc I would say its not normally worth going down that route and they definitely perform poor if you don't have plenty of light.

This.

Teleconverters will multiply it (they sit between the lens and the camera body), but you will get less light in and a slightly poorer image, so if you are thinking of wildlife etc I would say its not normally worth going down that route and they definitely perform poor if you don't have plenty of light.
Also changing a 18-250mm zoom using a 2X teleconverter into a 36-500mm is going to need a tripod because of the faster shutter speed needed to avoid camera shake. Usually the reciprocal of the focal length is the minimum shutter speed recommended for hand held which would be 1/36 to 1/500th of a second without factoring in the two stops loss of light from a reduced aperture so a tripod would be essential.

Would be better off getting a long focal length fixed lens which would have a wider aperture to a zoom equivalent and therefore just a bit more useful in lower light conditions. The problem for Nikon lenses is their expense.

Back