Calories - surprisingly high meals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that I'd chosen a relatively 'healthy' meal yesterday in a pub but I was surprised that it was rated at 920 kcals, I expected it to be about 600 kcals and I took off the cheese and avoided dipping the chicken into the sauce:

BREWER’S CHICKEN

Chicken breast topped with grilled bacon and Cheddar cheese. Served with chips, dressed baby gem salad garnish and barbecue & ale sauce.

http://www.chefandbrewer.com/Media/Documents/Menus/chef-and-brewer-nutritional-information.pdf

kcal = 921
Fat(g) = 35.2
Sat. fat = 16.3
Carbs = 84.9
Sugar = 37.4
Protein = 63.2
Fibre = 7.0
Salt = 4.4

I also cannot believe that there were 63g of protein in the meal as there was hardly any chicken.

Will the menu data be accurate or just approximates?

Logon or register to see this image

I thought that I'd chosen a relatively 'healthy' meal yesterday in a pub but I was surprised that it was rated at 920 kcals, I expected it to be about 600 kcals and I took off the cheese and avoided dipping the chicken into the sauce:

BREWER’S CHICKEN

Chicken breast topped with grilled bacon and Cheddar cheese. Served with chips, dressed baby gem salad garnish and barbecue & ale sauce.

http://www.chefandbrewer.com/Media/Documents/Menus/chef-and-brewer-nutritional-information.pdf

kcal = 921
Fat(g) = 35.2
Sat. fat = 16.3
Carbs = 84.9
Sugar = 37.4
Protein = 63.2
Fibre = 7.0
Salt = 4.4

I also cannot believe that there were 63g of protein in the meal as there was hardly any chicken.

Eating out is the fastest way to gain weight. They want you to go back so they fill the meal with taste, plenty of fat, sugar and salt, that does the trick.

BREWER’S CHICKEN

kcal = 921
Fat(g) = 35.2
Sat. fat = 16.3
Carbs = 84.9
Sugar = 37.4
Protein = 63.2
Fibre = 7.0
Salt = 4.4

Yes, values tend to be approximate.

But any meal containing chips and cheese and 'barbecue & ale sauce' is going to be high in calories.

It wasn't even overly nice or filling mate so I also got an apple pie + custard!
I know, I have had some nice pub meals, all high calorie though, many are just poor attempts at food. Steak and Ale pie, (my favourite) is about 2,200cals, I don't know if that includes the chips etc (or even if it's Kcals 2,200, 000 cals. I don't know if you know but they do calories in different ways. There's the original scientific calorie, which is the amount of heat that it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Centigrade. Then there's the Kcal (kilo calorie) which is 1,000 times more than the calorie and is the amount of heat required to heat 1 Litre of water by 1 degree C. The problem comes with labelling, a calorie (scientific) is calorie, a kilo calorie can be kcal or CALORIE written in capital letters. I don't eat out very often, that's why I'm the same weight as I was 40 years ago.

BREWER’S CHICKEN

kcal = 921
Fat(g) = 35.2
Sat. fat = 16.3
Carbs = 84.9
Sugar = 37.4
Protein = 63.2
Fibre = 7.0
Salt = 4.4

920 calories for any meal with chips/cheese is not really high.

I know, I have had some nice pub meals, all high calorie though, many are just poor attempts at food. Steak and Ale pie, (my favourite) is about 2,200cals, I don't know if that includes the chips etc (or even if it's Kcals 2,200, 000 cals. I don't know if you know but they do calories in different ways. There's the original scientific calorie, which is the amount of heat that it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Centigrade. Then there's the Kcal (kilo calorie) which is 1,000 times more than the calorie and is the amount of heat required to heat 1 Litre of water by 1 degree C. The problem comes with labelling, a calorie (scientific) is calorie, a kilo calorie can be kcal or CALORIE written in capital letters. I don't eat out very often, that's why I'm the same weight as I was 40 years ago.

Food values are always in kcal. Or at least I've never seen them presented in any other way.

920 calories for any meal with chips/cheese is not really high.

It's adequate for my purposes like. I try to set my diet up so that I can get as close to 1000kcal from three main meals in a day (excluding breakfast). Rest of my intake can be made up by snacking.

I've seen KJ before, usually with kcal too. I got a bar of chocolate from Lidl which is only listed in KJ.

Almost always see kj alongside kcal. I couldn't tell you my intake in kj though.

It's adequate for my purposes like. I try to set my diet up so that I can get as close to 1000kcal from three main meals in a day (excluding breakfast). Rest of my intake can be made up by snacking.

I tend to do 1300 calories or less 6 days a week, then a bit of a blow out on a Saturday. My main meal on a night is always circa 650-850 calories.

Almost always see kj alongside kcal. I couldn't tell you my intake in kj though.

Me neither mate.

I've seen KJ before, usually with kcal too. I got a bar of chocolate from Lidl which is only listed in KJ.
e
Food values are always in kcal. Or at least I've never seen them presented in any other way.

energy they have been, I don't know abut now. I have seen the CALORIES in capitals which means kcals.
I tend to do 1300 calories or less 6 days a week, then a bit of a blow out on a Saturday. My main meal on a night is always circa 650-850 calories.

Me neither mate.
Isn't your calorie intake a bit on the low side, we burn calories just to stay alive. I think the recommended intake is over 2,000 a day for a man. I have about 2,000 aand my weight doesn't change and body fat is 20% + -1%

Isn't your calorie intake a bit on the low side, we burn calories just to stay alive. I think the recommended intake is over 2,000 a day for a man. I have about 2,000 aand my weight doesn't change and body fat is 20% + -1%

Aye, it's a bit low, but I need to lose some weight so you have to be below what you need. I average about 1700-1800 per day once you count a Saturday, so I'm not wasting away. I'm 6ft 2. No idea what my body fat percentage is though, other than it'll be too high!

I'm always surprised by just how many calories supermarkets can fit in to those ready made sandwiches and wraps. You get some that are over 600 calories and will leave you hungry afterwards. So when you compare having 1 and a half wraps to that meal you had, I don't think you can complain too much.

Bread is just high in general. One of those tortilla wraps is about 180 calories, with the wrong sort of fillings it's not hard for it to add up. I tend to have one instead of bread as I find it more filling than two slices of bread.

I'm always surprised by just how many calories supermarkets can fit in to those ready made sandwiches and wraps. You get some that are over 600 calories and will leave you hungry afterwards. So when you compare having 1 and a half wraps to that meal you had, I don't think you can complain too much.

Tesco do quite a decent 'subway' type thing and that has about 450 cals I think. I had Tesco salad and some Tuna for about 160 cals at dinner and I feel quite full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back