Calling tree fellers ! Update.

Whatever happens... there's no f***ing way should an old lady be FORCED to pay 50 grand to have a tree removed because it's overhanging railway lines. It's absolutely ridiculous and needs to be looked at by the Government.

personally I agree with BD as to why the cost is so expensive

I think a look at the deeds and checking the boundary, may well be worth a glance

personally I agree with BD as to why the cost is so expensive
Aye, but they shouldn't be forcing an old woman to foot the entire bill. Imagine that was you, do you have 50k to spare? If you don't, what's going to happen? Will they take you to court? Take your house? Make you homeless? For a f***ing tree. It's ridiculous man. Boils my piss this.

NR should be footing the bill. THEY put the bloody tracks there.

Aye, but they shouldn't be forcing an old woman to foot the entire bill. Imagine that was you, do you have 50k to spare? If you don't, what's going to happen? Will they take you to court? Take your house? Make you homeless? For a f***ing tree. It's ridiculous man. Boils my piss this.

NR should be footing the bill. THEY put the bloody tracks there.
but they didn't put the tree there

would it be different if was a young couple living in the house. How much would you charge them

what I think is the scandal is that they have gone in with a sledgehammer

they would argue that it is part of general maintenance

I would have that that when they are doing there pruning / cutting back that they should write to the land owner and warn them their tree is encroaching.

However to turn up and start demanding they use their services for what to most people is a sizeable chunk of money is bad news

Neither did the old girl by the sounds of it. Either way, 50 grand man, haway. They have no right to demand that from anyone.

I agree, it was the management prior to bill coming in that they fail with as well.

most people will not look out over the fence at the railway line to notice this

I think you're on the right track (!) here. They may have included things like stopping power to the lines while the work is done, etc, etc. Risk assess, method statements, men to watch the line.
50 grand to cut a f***ing tree down man, you could fly a team of lumberjacks over from Brazil and pay them to deforest 50 football pitches for that

I found this peachy - I don't know what the outcome was but some decent suggestions made:

Tree work in close proximity to railway lines and platform
Thanks, it's a bit depressing isn't it. I shall add the info to what I can gather for her.

I think you're on the right track (!) here. They may have included things like stopping power to the lines while the work is done, etc, etc. Risk assess, method statements, men to watch the line.
If the tree was on their land they would still take the tree down, and wear the cost themselves wouldn't they. ?

Last edited:
I know network rail have dedicated teams to remove trees and shrubs etc so £50k is taking the pìss, never mind this subsidence and red tape bollocks etc.

I would of thought any branches overhanging their land come under the law of them cutting them back and leaving on her property.

Some people will cut trees for zero cost. My mate did two on the front of my property and sold the logs for profit but expect to pay around £150 per tree for none mates :)
I used my land rover to pull one down away from damaging anything.

The tree is on her land and nothing to stop her getting it sorted. I know a builder from shields who would probably cut the tree down and build her an extension for less ;)

Back