Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Looking to start this year. I’ve not got a massive area to work with, just some borders around the garden.

Planning on doing peas to begin with. Anyone got any tips or success stories?

Looking to start this year. I’ve not got a massive area to work with, just some borders around the garden.

I've had a greenhouse for few year with limited success. Last year put it a little raised bed for me and our 9 year old to have a go at growing some veg. Put in peas, radishes, leeks and lettuce. All grew well and got a good crop. Going have another go this year.

Do you have a greenhouse ? You can plant peas now if you can keep them frost free, then plant them out when things warm up.

No just a garden, we’re planning on putting some borders in. It’s just a lawn at present.

Last year my wife grew some tomatoes in one of them plastic pop up greenhouse things and some radishes in some pots with mixed results.
Check out Charles Dowding on Youtube

Will do

I used to grow potatoes, beans, courgettes etc. However there is a great farm shop up the road with good produce at reasonable prices. So now I just grow a big square patch of sweet corn and I grow hanging tomatoes dropping down from buckets. Also planting some more apple trees and some grape vines. Plan to make cider and wine.

I used to grow potatoes, beans, courgettes etc. However there is a great farm shop up the road with good produce at reasonable prices. So now I just grow a big square patch of sweet corn and I grow hanging tomatoes dropping down from buckets. Also planting some more apple trees and some grape vines. Plan to make cider and wine.

We can grow grapes in this country?

And then turn them into alcohol?

No just a garden, we’re planning on putting some borders in. It’s just a lawn at present.

Last year my wife grew some tomatoes in one of them plastic pop up greenhouse things and some radishes in some pots with mixed results.

Will do
Get some raised beds knocked up mate. Loads cheaper making them yourself rather than buying them and it's a piece of piss. Using deck boards. Speak to Paul from Buildbase and mention me to get the premium customer service and best delivery spots.

Grow what you are interested in eating. Always a disappointment growing something only to find you don’t like it. I did that with artichokes last year. I always try one thing new and different so didn’t devote much space to them, but was still a waste.

For peas either start them in module pots or plant direct, just in a shallow drill. Rather than netting, I usually support them by putting in a line of canes and horizontal string, about 20cm apart.

Look at companion planting too, for things that will work together. In a border you could do a row of onions or leeks at the back, as these are slow growing, then your peas and look at lettuces or swiss chard at the front. Chard is great, easy to grow, tends not to bolt and you can use it in cooking like spinach or the smaller leaves as salad leaves. It lasts well to. Even after being burried in snow, I still have some of last years out there.

Grow what you are interested in eating. Always a disappointment growing something only to find you don’t like it. I did that with artichokes last year. I always try one thing new and different so didn’t devote much space to them, but was still a waste.

For peas either start them in module pots or plant direct, just in a shallow drill. Rather than netting, I usually support them by putting in a line of canes and horizontal string, about 20cm apart.

Look at companion planting too, for things that will work together. In a border you could do a row of onions or leeks at the back, as these are slow growing, then your peas and look at lettuces or swiss chard at the front. Chard is great, easy to grow, tends not to bolt and you can use it in cooking like spinach or the smaller leaves as salad leaves. It lasts well to. Even after being burried in snow, I still have some of last years out there.

What things would you say have the most % of success? Promised my youngest a bash at this this year.

Planted all kinds last year.
All died.
Breaks yer heart

Richardsons do a mixed lettuce tray of 8 plants, very easy to plant and grow (the leaves grow back 3/4 times once picked) last you through the summer

Last edited:

Back