Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Same, I was worried about the poor weather and drab, dank conditions making them too leggy. However, now I'm worried about them being too late.

Suppose I should have bought an established seedling but I like growing from seed.
Me too. Though if it looks like my seedlings are struggling then I do often get a couple of plants at my local garden centre. I have a pretty good family run one near me, and they produce a lot in their own nurseries. It is a big even around here the day they open their greenhouses. Early in the year they are closed to sales, growing only.

Me too. Though if it looks like my seedlings are struggling then I do often get a couple of plants at my local garden centre. I have a pretty good family run one near me, and they produce a lot in their own nurseries. It is a big even around here the day they open their greenhouses. Early in the year they are closed to sales, growing only.
I like growing from seed, but I find the weather too unreliable for stuff like peppers and chillis.
Haven't got a heated gh so I just buy young plants now. Lifes too short to get too precious over it imo.

Any tomato experts on here?

Normally when I grow them everything goes like clockwork, however this time I'm getting truss' (sp?) on the plant, it seems way too early and the plant seems way too small to be ready to fruit.

Anyone experienced this before' can it be the shit weather?

Should I take of the truss or leave it. They are cherry sun golds if it helps.

Any tomato experts on here?

Normally when I grow them everything goes like clockwork, however this time I'm getting truss' (sp?) on the plant, it seems way too early and the plant seems way too small to be ready to fruit.

Anyone experienced this before' can it be the shit weather?

Should I take of the truss or leave it. They are cherry sun golds if it helps.

Ive grown tomatoes for over 40yrs. You shouldnt be getting trusses until the plant is around a foot tall, and even then I nip the first one off.

You should nip this one off, and probably the next one. Sungold cherry produce really long trusses and if you leave the first ones on the fruit will be likely to touch the soil.

Ive grown tomatoes for over 40yrs. You shouldnt be getting trusses until the plant is around a foot tall, and even then I nip the first one off.

You should nip this one off, and probably the next one. Sungold cherry produce really long trusses and if you leave the first ones on the fruit will be likely to touch the soil.

Thanks, its probably is a foot tall but I bury a bit of the stem each time I repot to encourage a bigger root system. If the truss is long it would potentially touch the soil. I normally plant from seen but saw these almost dead in b n q and couldn't resist the challenge of getting them going again for £1.

I guess I have no idea when the seed was sown. Maybe it is always this early but the weather is better so I haven't noticed as much?

Will nip it off for now. Still plenty of time left in the season. Thanks again.

Thanks, its probably is a foot tall but I bury a bit of the stem each time I repot to encourage a bigger root system. If the truss is long it would potentially touch the soil. I normally plant from seen but saw these almost dead in b n q and couldn't resist the challenge of getting them going again for £1.

I guess I have no idea when the seed was sown. Maybe it is always this early but the weather is better so I haven't noticed as much?

Will nip it off for now. Still plenty of time left in the season. Thanks again.

B n Q is the last place on earth I would buy tomato plants from, same with supermarkets. They are always leggy and week and usually dried out. I assume youre going to plant in large pots? If so plant them deep, up to the first leaves.

B n Q is the last place on earth I would buy tomato plants from, same with supermarkets. They are always leggy and week and usually dried out. I assume youre going to plant in large pots? If so plant them deep, up to the first leaves.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to, there was just a few sorry looking ones, dried out and starting to wither. I have repotted then twice now, each time burying the stem a bit more to encourage root growth. With the ultimate goal to have them in large grow bags. They have been growing well since I took them home, just never seen (or noticed) trusses this early.

Back