Call-out for 2021 City of Culture bid champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part of the discussion/argument to be had. Who decides what culture is? Sunderland very much has a culture of its own, a lot of it is hidden and there are very talented people doing their own thing out of the spotlight.
This is an opportunity to bring those people to the forefront as well as giving Sunderland exposure to some of the more traditional 'Culture' events that happen in the likes of London.

The biggest misconception with the bid is that we have to be a recognised 'Cultural' city to win. The opposite is almost true, we need to show a need for it and also the desire and potential to carry it off. I genuinely believe we have the potential and the desire is there in large parts of the city, we just need to convince people that it is for them and not just for middle class types who like a bit of opera.
I love the culture of the city and the region. I'm just not that struck on the City of culture thing. Don't get me wrong if it happens it will give the place a massive boost. I will be happy to see it but it is grafling on something that has never been a priority of the punters of the city.

I love the culture of the city and the region. I'm just not that struck on the City of culture thing. Don't get me wrong if it happens it will give the place a massive boost. I will be happy to see it but it is grafling on something that has never been a priority of the punters of the city.
Agreed but it has never been sold to them as something that is viable or could ever be for them.
I think everybody, almost without exception, would like to see the city improve, whether that's aesthetically, services on offer, jobs or just a better selection of shops. The City of Culture alone won't solve that but as part of a joined up plan (there actually is one!) it can be a massive step forward.
Hull has proved how it can work well.
Not everyone is going to be convinced and it would be foolish to think that they would but I do think that it is something that will benefit the majority and will begin to tackle some of the criticisms people have of the place.

Agreed but it has never been sold to them as something that is viable or could ever be for them.
I think everybody, almost without exception, would like to see the city improve, whether that's aesthetically, services on offer, jobs or just a better selection of shops. The City of Culture alone won't solve that but as part of a joined up plan (there actually is one!) it can be a massive step forward.
Hull has proved how it can work well.
Not everyone is going to be convinced and it would be foolish to think that they would but I do think that it is something that will benefit the majority and will begin to tackle some of the criticisms people have of the place.
Well done for putting this out there. Are you not going for it yourself?

I like the idea of 21 Mackems as it's well known that that's the number we'll twist on.

Well done for putting this out there. Are you not going for it yourself?

I like the idea of 21 Mackems as it's well known that that's the number we'll twist on.
Thinking about it but I'm going to be banging the drum regardless. It would be good to get others with a different reach to me.
There'll be people with great influence in hard to reach communities who would be ideal but they would need to be convinced themselves first. I've done work in Southwick over the past year and it's easy to see why they mistrust people as they've been shat on in the past.

@tunstall birdman - poet, lover, fish stick connoisseur.
:cool: And Break Dancing, DJing, Graffiti Art, building dens and sheds, Soul music and underground House music connoisseur, Landscape artist, spreader of peace and love, slightly mystic, worked on many projects that has involved bringing people together from all backgrounds within Sunderland, lover of the nature and wildlife and local history in Sunderland, an ability to bring people together and to inspire them to unlock ability and hidden talent. An ability to do wheelies on my bike still, a visionary, a wise soul, a good darts and pool player, patter that can sparkle a sweet ladies eyes to light up the night sky like the SOL spotlights, a teller and inventor of jokes so shite that they actually work at times and defy all logic and even leave God puzzled on how? etc, etc, and finally a person that can broadcast the unspoken or the lesser spoken magnificence of the land, sea, sky and all within of this beautiful place called Sunderland, the place we call home in our hearts!!:)

Last edited:
:cool: And Break Dancing, DJing, Graffiti Art, building dens and sheds, Soul music and underground House music connoisseur, Landscape artist, spreader of peace and love, slightly mystic, worked on many projects that has involved bringing people together from all backgrounds within Sunderland, lover of the nature and wildlife and local history in Sunderland, an ability to bring people together and to inspire them to unlock ability and hidden talent. An ability to do wheelies on my bike still, a visionary, a wise soul, a good darts and pool player, patter that can sparkle a sweet ladies eyes to light up the night sky like the SOL spotlights, a teller and inventor of jokes so shite that they actually work at times and defy all logic and even leave God puzzled on how? etc, etc, and finally a person that can broadcast the unspoken or the lesser spoken magnificence of the land, sea, sky and all within of this beautiful place called Sunderland, the place we call home in our hearts!!:)
If you can learn to be concise the job is yours.;)
Are you thinking of applying?

Look forward not backwards. This would be the biggest thing to happen to Sunderland for many, many decades. Your cynicism is what will kill this bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back