Buying Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.
need to evaluate what you want out of shares

if you are a bit older go for some with good dividend yield

if more speculative think about society trends

for instance instead of buying shares in an airline or travel company at the moment buy shares in a camping or caravan company

supermarkets will give you slightly higher than average at the moment

just before the UK economy picks up the banks will once again be a good bet.

any one that sells garden/lifestyles/diy/home office supplies as well will give you good short term growth until share market returns to some form of normality

if you buy say three sets of shares buy them in three different sectors ie financial, industrial, consumer to spread your risk

This is what I do, currently about 10% up over the year which does not sound great when you hear of individual stocks jumping 200% etc, but its far more than you would get in a savings account.
I put 8k in last year just before corona hit and it dropped maybe 30% in the next 3 weeks. Was gutted.
One year later I have it back and more.
These Index funds have always recovered as long as you're in for the long haul.

You won't double your money overnight but the risk is pretty small.

I put 8k in last year just before corona hit and it dropped maybe 30% in the next 3 weeks. Was gutted.
One year later I have it back and more.
These Index funds have always recovered as long as you're in for the long haul.

You won't double your money overnight but the risk is pretty small.
I found this video interesting, it shows that if you put £500 a month into a whole of the market tracker then over the longer term the returns are about the same as trying to play the market, of course its using historical data but the message is sound. I'm in no hurry to get the money back out so I'm happy to sit on it for a long time just drip feeding the fund.

I’ve dabbled this year and done really well overall (2.5 x my total investment) but individual shares have been known to drop 30% in a day. I used Share.com which has now merged with ii.com

I’ve dabbled this year and done really well overall (2.5 x my total investment) but individual shares have been known to drop 30% in a day. I used Share.com which has now merged with ii.com
SHARE.COM used to have a practice account that could be quite fun for novices, dont know if ii have one too, could be worth a look.

I found this video interesting, it shows that if you put £500 a month into a whole of the market tracker then over the longer term the returns are about the same as trying to play the market, of course its using historical data but the message is sound. I'm in no hurry to get the money back out so I'm happy to sit on it for a long time just drip feeding the fund.
I've been feeding vanguard for around six years and am around 30k up... you just need to hold your nerve and have time on your side.

Ah this thread again. Simple tips

- if you haven’t got a clue, then you’re not ready.
- understand what you want to achieve, be it yield or share price growth
- understand the risk (and potential return) of every investment
- understand what you are capable of losing
- diversifying risk is generally smart unless you are truly punting (and comfortable losing)

need to evaluate what you want out of shares

if you are a bit older go for some with good dividend yield

if more speculative think about society trends

for instance instead of buying shares in an airline or travel company at the moment buy shares in a camping or caravan company

Actually, airlines might be worth buying now if you think that they will recover in the next few years. I made some decent money buying bank shares at the bottom of the financial crash.

Actually, airlines might be worth buying now if you think that they will recover in the next few years. I made some decent money buying bank shares at the bottom of the financial crash.
as the pandemic kicks on and more borders close i would be selling and rebuying later.

i've sold qantas and flight centre recently after fairly decent profit

trick is to get onboard just at the right time (scuse the pun) then sell just at the right time

also have a goal so that as soon as you make a certain amount of profit you sell

for instance if your goal is to make say $500 profit always sell when you have made that amount and then reinvest some of it in more shares and pay down loans on mortgages etc with the rest.

I use the freetrade app they charge £3 a month to run your isa.
I used to use Hargreaves and Lansdown but for the amount of trading I do it wasn’t worth it.

Monday just gone I invested £400 in GS Technologies (GSL.L) as they were hovering around the 1p mark having just had a huge rise the day before. Done some checking up and thought that the company had potential so I may as well bung a small sum in for a bit interest expecting the share to drop and then recover, I thought I may make a little bit of profit.
It did drop, it did recover... it's knocking on 3p/share now.

Wish I's bunged a couple of thousand on it now :cry::rolleyes:

I'm not recommending anyone goes in on my advice mind, do your own research!

Monday just gone I invested £400 in GS Technologies (GSL.L) as they were hovering around the 1p mark having just had a huge rise the day before. Done some checking up and thought that the company had potential so I may as well bung a small sum in for a bit interest expecting the share to drop and then recover, I thought I may make a little bit of profit.

Have you sold yet? Paper profits aren’t worth the paper they are profitable on.

Penny shares can be very dangerous. Just because a share is valued at 1p doesn't mean it is good value. £400 in 1p shares is the same as £400 in 400p shares.

No, I'm going to hold my nerve for a while. All the signs point to the company expanding. I may hold out until the end of the week. Filthy lucre :lol:
Penny shares can be very dangerous. Just because a share is valued at 1p doesn't mean it is good value. £400 in 1p shares is the same as £400 in 400p shares.
Aye but right now it's up to around £1200 in 1p shares :lol:
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/g/gstechnologies-ltd-ord-npv-di

Read the share chat on lse.co.uk

Last edited:
Wanting to buy some shares in Tesla, what would be the best way to do it?

Just going to leave it in for the next 10-15 years as I think they're in a prime position for when the ICE ban hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back