Buying a Leica

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wait till car boot sale season and see what that has to offer, picked up some great cameras last summer for next to nowt.

Actually they aint that expensive looking at the prices, i might get one of the fuckers! Local (to me not you) classic camera seller has a few in, reputable and the prices aint bad at all:

http://classicphotographics.co.uk/stock.html

Not bad at all.

I wonder how much this sub forum has indirectly cost us all this year. Mr Rocky Camera will be having a large turkey this Christmas.

Hoo Andy - have you ever used an Mamiya 645 Pro?

Saw one second hand that I reckon could get for about £350 ish. This is fecker, hasn't had a sniff in all the time it's been up there.

Actually they aint that expensive looking at the prices, i might get one of the fuckers! Local (to me not you) classic camera seller has a few in, reputable and the prices aint bad at all:

http://classicphotographics.co.uk/stock.html

I was thinking the same thing, I figure a Leica with a lens would be neck end of a grand - so if I can get one for less than 400 quid I might be tempted....plus as it is a Rangefinder it is a new camera I don't have. Although my daughter might nick it off me as it looks 'cool' (she quite fancies a Lubitel or Yashica TLR now)

Not bad at all.

I wonder how much this sub forum has indirectly cost us all this year. Mr Rocky Camera will be having a large turkey this Christmas.

Hoo Andy - have you ever used an Mamiya 645 Pro?

Saw one second hand that I reckon could get for about £350 ish. This is fecker, hasn't had a sniff in all the time it's been up there.

I've got an old Mamiya 645J and I like it, bad battery life on the metering prism and I have to change the light seals (they were starting to disintegrate) but I like it a lot. The Mamiya lenses are very good - I am even toying with getting an adapter to use them on my DSLR. All that said if I could have got a Pentax 645 for a bit better price I would have gone for that instead.

The more I looked into this, the more expensive it was becoming. It'd really want a M4 or higher, and a good example with a good lens would be around a grand. That's way too much for a something that wouldn't really be my main camera.

Decided instead to get a Canonet G-III QL17 - from what I've read, it's one of the best 'poor man's Leica' around. Got a really nice looking reconditioned model from the states - about £40, plus £25 shipping. I'm sure it won't be a patch on a Leica, but then I doubt it'll be 15 times worse either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back