Buying a Leica

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

not spavin

Really fancy one of these, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I think I can raise a few hundred quid selling a bit of kit that I don't use, and I've a little bit put away too.

However, we're talking hundreds rather than thousands, and I just want a camera (albeit a quality camera) for a hobby.

So, does anyone know which is the best starter Leica? The M2 seems to be it, but there seem a massive variance in year of manufacture. And if I got an M2, what would be the best lens to get? Or is there a better equivalent?

take a look at a Rollei

the old German ones are mustard and more responsive than a Leica I think

Just a thought...

take a look at a Rollei

the old German ones are mustard and more responsive than a Leica I think

Just a thought...

Cheers Flav - fancy saving for the real deal, though the more I Google, the more I weep.

Cheers Flav - fancy saving for the real deal, though the more I Google, the more I weep.

you're welcome

I have such huge affection for my old Rollei which an ex took in a break up

I really should pick up another but I just don't have the heart for it

you're welcome

I have such huge affection for my old Rollei which an ex took in a break up

I really should pick up another but I just don't have the heart for it

What model? Rolleis are pretty affordable on eBay from what I've seen.

What model? Rolleis are pretty affordable on eBay from what I've seen.

it was just a Rollei 35, but even on that model the lens was just incredible

you should try and get the older cameras that were made in Germany not the later models made in Japan

I took pictures on New Year's Eve 99/00 with no flash and the pictures came out so velvety and beautiful... the lens, it's all in the lens.

Really fancy one of these, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I think I can raise a few hundred quid selling a bit of kit that I don't use, and I've a little bit put away too.

However, we're talking hundreds rather than thousands, and I just want a camera (albeit a quality camera) for a hobby.

So, does anyone know which is the best starter Leica? The M2 seems to be it, but there seem a massive variance in year of manufacture. And if I got an M2, what would be the best lens to get? Or is there a better equivalent?
Does it HAVE to be a Leica? What's your main reason for wanting one...the Canon rangefinders are actually pretty good for a lot less dosh...

Gotta be 35mm? If so I'd personally go for an older Nikon and some shit hot lenses, get more for your money. Or get a decent MF system, 120 all the way.

I just read that back and its really rambling, sorry! :lol:

Isn't there a range of Russian Leica copies? Always look the part and should be decent optically. I was looking at Moscow Cameras on Ebay and they have a knackered old Leica on there for 5000 quid.....

Isn't there a range of Russian Leica copies? Always look the part and should be decent optically. I was looking at Moscow Cameras on Ebay and they have a knackered old Leica on there for 5000 quid.....

I refer you to this

I'm with Spavin on this (I own an iPhone too) I lust after these babies daily, going to have to bite the bullet.
OOOH

Last edited:
I refer you to this

I'm with Spavin on this (I own an iPhone too) I lust after these babies daily, going to have to bite the bullet.
OOOH

I know I can get something almost as good for loads less, but I'll always want a Leica. It's probably a little bit of badge snobbery too, don't mind admitting that.

I already have a good rangefinder so I'm in no rush. Happy to sell a few bits then save for a few mon... decades.

Is there an accepted 'standard starter Leica that doesn't cost a million quid'?

Leica - because Apple don't make cameras. :-D

:lol:

Does it HAVE to be a Leica? What's your main reason for wanting one...the Canon rangefinders are actually pretty good for a lot less dosh...

Gotta be 35mm? If so I'd personally go for an older Nikon and some shit hot lenses, get more for your money. Or get a decent MF system, 120 all the way.

I just read that back and its really rambling, sorry! :lol:

Toying with that idea too. 120 film is an arseache to get developed over here though, that's the main sticking point. I'd be selling my Yashica Mat to help fund whatever I went for anyway - barely use it.

Great this gear buying by proxy, I can find things on ebay for others to buy.....saves me money and stops the wife trying to kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back