Buying A Car - Approved Used

I know nowt about cars, so how much emphasis would you put on the “approved used” aspect of it if you’re looking at the likes of auto trader as a guide?

I doubt I’d go down a private purchase route, but is there much of a risk buying from a standard car show room as opposed to the manufacturer garage with the “approved used” tag on there?

@Goat Eyes might be one for you?

Very little to be honest. Likely it will be an ex lease car which could very well have been treated shit by the first owner. Smoked in, not cleaned, serviced etc.

There's a belief that because the main dealer is selling it then it must be good, that's wrong in my eyes. They will spend as little amount as possible to get a car back out on the forecourt and sell it again, as it hurts the margin on it.

Ive nearly always bought private, and if you spend your time researching and looking, can be better value by far.

Only good thing is it should have a decent used warranty on it , however even those can be hard to claim back on or have a limited amount.

Very little to be honest. Likely it will be an ex lease car which could very well have been treated shit by the first owner. Smoked in, not cleaned, serviced etc.

There's a belief that because the main dealer is selling it then it must be good, that's wrong in my eyes. They will spend as little amount as possible to get a car back out on the forecourt and sell it again, as it hurts the margin on it.

Ive nearly always bought private, and if you spend your time researching and looking, can be better value by far.

Only good thing is it should have a decent used warranty on it , however even those can be hard to claim back on or have a limited amount.
Cheers. Makes sense. I’d not buy private like, due to my own lack of knowledge, but based on that, I’d not by pass other garages. If @Gillythedilf liked your post you must be talking sense as he’s a reet car nonce ;)

I know little about cars as well and bought approved used the last 2 times.

I had a positive experience with Audi the first time so did it again with Mazda. Just a small peace of mind I suppose - though never had a reason to 'put it to the test'.

Cheers. Makes sense. I’d not buy private like, due to my own lack of knowledge, but based on that, I’d not by pass other garages. If @Gillythedilf liked your post you must be talking sense as he’s a reet car nonce ;)
thing is, somebody selling their car on autotrader privately, they are likely to be a bit more honest in my experience as you are at their house usually. Its more effort to sell privately typically (not always the case of course) will be the type of person who looks after it, cleans it etc. Part ex-ing in my experience is usually done for either of 2 reasons, its easier and/or the car is knackered. Or else why would you trade in and lose thousands? Every car I've owned has had a trade in value around 3-4k less than it eventually sold for. You pay for the convenience or their risk, in a lower value.

Now of course you do get some buyers who contact you who are either scammers, or trying to take the piss. In my experience these are easily routed out in the initial conversation.

I've often thought about buying and selling privately for people, as I enjoy it. I just don't know how to turn it into a viable business model.

thing is, somebody selling their car on autotrader privately, they are likely to be a bit more honest in my experience as you are at their house usually. Its more effort to sell privately typically (not always the case of course) will be the type of person who looks after it, cleans it etc. Part ex-ing in my experience is usually done for either of 2 reasons, its easier and/or the car is knackered. Or else why would you trade in and lose thousands? Every car I've owned has had a trade in value around 3-4k less than it eventually sold for. You pay for the convenience or their risk, in a lower value.

Now of course you do get some buyers who contact you who are either scammers, or trying to take the piss. In my experience these are easily routed out in the initial conversation.

I've often thought about buying and selling privately for people, as I enjoy it. I just don't know how to turn it into a viable business model.
Well, that’s sort of my issue, I’ve got a car to trade in too. If I’m not comfortable buying privately I’m definitely not comfortable selling :lol:
Do your research, I’ve bought approved used the last 2 times, no problems.
Aye, you say that, the only research I can do is look at the numbers on auto trader. Mileage, age etc. apart from that I know didely squat

Last edited:
Aye, you say that, the only research I can do is look at the numbers on auto trader. Mileage, age etc. apart from that I know didely squat
Buying approved used though is effectively them guaranteeing a full service history at the dealer with the car fully checked, guaranteed for a year, sometimes the first MOT costs etc. covered.

The problem is you pay for it. Both times I bought, the price was right so it was worth it. Perhaps that's what he means by doing your research. I stalked Car Guru for months before buying.

From my experience the internet has changed the game so to speak. I think the man on the street has the most power now in negotiation with a car dealer. My last 3 car purchases I’ve decided what car I want, looked at what the value of my current car is worth then contacted about 10/15 garages from all over the UK and said this is what I’m looking to buy, this is what I’m trading in and this is what I’m willing to pay in terms of difference. I’ve found I’ve always had 3 or 4 come back in line with what I’ve said then I’ve just played them off against each other. Ive always managed to get a couple years warranty / cover thrown in as well in case of any issues which I’ve never had as my cars are always only a couple years old so less chance I guess of an issue. I’ve had a car delivered from Southend, one I got an overnight stay in the lakes to collect it and then other one was bought from Motorpoint and delivered to Birtley for me to view it. Key is knowing precisely what you want including colour, spec etc. before you start talking about cost.

I wouldn't care at all between approved used from a dealer and a private sale / non-network car seller. But if it's a daily driver I generally would want a car that was new enough to still have the manufacturer warranty on it, because after market warranties usually turn into worthless scraps of paper when something goes wrong.

For an older car, I'd usually go private for the price differential. Still stinging from the premium I paid to get a "classic" car from a trusted independent garage.

Well to get " approved " which is usually a manufacturer ,ie Ford Approved or something like the Rac
So a site has to care enough about its business to invest in it to apply
You have to win Rac approval.
For example Slaters in Hendon have just got it .Family run business
That way of thinking runs against the idea of buying high mileage bombs and cleaning them up and asking top money
Ford dealer a bit different but there's universal guidelines behind their practices

Mrs picked up her Merc cla last week. Approved used. One dealership had one 4 years old with 30k and wanted 24k for it. We went to their main dealership in Edinburgh and got a 4 month old ex demonstrator with 1.6k on it fully loaded for 28k. Benefits of approved is manufacturer guarantee for 3 years all servicing done in house and a higher resale value at the end.

You can actually buy your own "approved used" car buy adding the warranty through the manufacturers website they're really good warranties, so my advice is but the car you want them as the warranty if you want it.

Mrs picked up her Merc cla last week. Approved used. One dealership had one 4 years old with 30k and wanted 24k for it. We went to their main dealership in Edinburgh and got a 4 month old ex demonstrator with 1.6k on it fully loaded for 28k. The payments are roughly the same too. Benefits of approved is manufacturer guarantee for 3 years all servicing done in house and a higher resale value at the end.

I think a Lamborghini hurican . keep talking and looking about it I know.

i think I’ll go for it in march or April, nearly got one over Xmas but it went when I was waiting to sort insurance

Do it. The longer it takes to make your final decision, you’ll end up talking yourself out of it!

Back