Buying a bike online

Status
Not open for further replies.

r@mside

Striker
I'm hoping for some pointers from the SMB's cycling enthusiasts.

Decided to start cycling to get fit and fancy buying a cyclo cross because they look good all rounders for summer and winter.

Looking at what's on offer in Darke's and Ride, an entry level bike from Cannondale or Giant costs £700-£800 but I can buy a bike online from other manufacturers, with what appear to be better components, for less.

For example I've seen these
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...ensa-bikes/sensa-umbria-cycle-cross-bike.html

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=104927

My first concern is getting the right size, how do make sure I select the correct size and is there anything else I should consider before deserting the convenience of a local retailer?

Quite a few sites have size guides,or look on gumtree and txt people selling them to see how tall they are(sounds daft but its what people do).
I'm 6ft 34 inside leg and ive just bought a large frame Cube 26in wheel model.
Cheaper bikes may be last years model of unwanted frame sizes,try and price match local then you're not faffin about if you have problems later or ask for a service deal to bridge price gap

Decided to start cycling to get fit and fancy buying a cyclo cross because they look good all rounders for summer and winter.

Looking at what's on offer in Darke's and Ride, an entry level bike from Cannondale or Giant costs £700-£800 but I can buy a bike online from other manufacturers, with what appear to be better components, for less.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...ensa-bikes/sensa-umbria-cycle-cross-bike.html

My first concern is getting the right size, how do make sure I select the correct size and is there anything else I should consider before deserting the convenience of a local retailer?
have a look here http://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing

Cheers lads.

I'm 32.5" inside leg and 5' 11". Evans size guides seems to work on height, recommending Large frame - about 56cm for a road bike which I assume should to be the same for cyclo cross.

The Ridley bike has a chart which shows stand over height. I think 800mm is about the right stand over height for my measurements, which corresponds to the smallest frame size, 48cm. That doesn't seem right to me.

The local bike shops seem fairly competitive on price for the brands I mentioned but are limited for choice. It seems that sizing might not be universal so I'm not sure if using Darke's for fitting will be useful or not.

Cheers lads.

I'm 32.5" inside leg and 5' 11". Evans size guides seems to work on height, recommending Large frame - about 56cm for a road bike which I assume should to be the same for cyclo cross.

The Ridley bike has a chart which shows stand over height. I think 800mm is about the right stand over height for my measurements, which corresponds to the smallest frame size, 48cm. That doesn't seem right to me.

The local bike shops seem fairly competitive on price for the brands I mentioned but are limited for choice. It seems that sizing might not be universal so I'm not sure if using Darke's for fitting will be useful or not.
The choice thing is just a matter of ordering what you want,the bikes are expensive and they could have 8 colours and you want the 9th...lot online say they have stock and place orders on suplliers when you order,Cycleworld etc will know the crack regards diff size per maker etc

I bought my bike online but had a bit bother setting it up regarding the gears and brake tension. I ended up taking it into a local dealer to get it set up properly so just be prepared to fork out for this

Don't.

I went to an Evans shop, tried a few for size then ordered from the interweb.

A big box arrived, opened it and it wasn't the bike that I ordered. So I returned it.

I'd go to a local independent bike shop. Build up a rapport with the staff. Even if you pay more than on the internet you'll have to go somewhere for repairs, service, advice etc.

Keep them in business.

Don't.

I went to an Evans shop, tried a few for size then ordered from the interweb.

A big box arrived, opened it and it wasn't the bike that I ordered. So I returned it.

I'd go to a local independent bike shop. Build up a rapport with the staff. Even if you pay more than on the internet you'll have to go somewhere for repairs, service, advice etc.

Keep them in business.

I use the shop in Epping fro that very reason.. to be honest if you chat to them and tell them the price online he'll often manouvre a bit..

what you do get is a fully set up bike ready to ride from a good independant.. and any niggles just pop in... he's always willing to have a quick shufty at something that he's sold...

www.spokesbikes.co.uk/‎

having said that the other link i posted is a family shop.. mam, dad and son all work it . if you sell Giant bikes you have to have a showroom / shop otherwise gant wont sell to you

just to add if you do want to use ashcycles

here is there reviews

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews185016.html

phione up and tell them Northern Dave put you onto them..

I use the shop in Epping fro that very reason.. to be honest if you chat to them and tell them the price online he'll often manouvre a bit..

what you do get is a fully set up bike ready to ride from a good independant.. and any niggles just pop in... he's always willing to have a quick shufty at something that he's sold...

www.spokesbikes.co.uk/‎

having said that the other link i posted is a family shop.. mam, dad and son all work it . if you sell Giant bikes you have to have a showroom / shop otherwise gant wont sell to you

just to add if you do want to use ashcycles

here is there reviews

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews185016.html

phione up and tell them Northern Dave put you onto them..

Jane, Ash or mark

Last edited:
Went to Cycle World in the end and eventually settled on a Giant cross bike.

They're giving me 10% in accessories which is useful since I'm starting from scratch and need quite a few odds and sods.

Adding the benefit of checking over the bike before leaving the store, a free service and the re-assurance of being able to pop into town if there's any niggles with the bike seemed worth the few quid I'd be saving online.

When I asked about the components, the guy in shop reckoned I'd be getting a better frame for my money which could be a positive if true.

Thanks for all the advice, it was very helpful.

I've just bought one off chain reaction, actually just got it today, and the whole process was effortless.
I obviously wouldn't suggest going to a proper speciallist bike shop (LBS) or two, finding one that you like and the right size and then buying it online. Although if you were to do that it might be worth giving said LBS a chance to match the price, it has worked for me in the past.

I quite fancied the Ridley bike from Chain Reaction but the sizing chart didn't make sense. Was a little concerned I might end up with a bad fit and have to arrange to ship back to Ireland.

Think I've played safe buying a Giant. I've not seen the 2013 model discounted online, so was quite happy to get 10% in accessories from the local shop.

I quite fancied the Ridley bike from Chain Reaction but the sizing chart didn't make sense. Was a little concerned I might end up with a bad fit and have to arrange to ship back to Ireland.

Think I've played safe buying a Giant. I've not seen the 2013 model discounted online, so was quite happy to get 10% in accessories from the local shop.

Sorry I replied to your first post before reading your last one. Definitely good sense to do what you did and there's nothing at all wrong with giant bikes.

I've bought 2 bikes online. One a Focus Lost Lagoon hybrid from Wiggle 3 years ago and used it for the C2C twice, no problems. Only puncture I've had in 3 years was riding back from Harrow town centre!
The other bike bought from Evans and had it delivered to Spain. Jamis X3 mountain bike, again no problems. Perhaps I have just been lucky;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back