Butland under Beale @ Rangers

See, don't get confused mate in what i'm saying....Mowbray deserved to go...but not to be replaced by Beale..Beale deserved to go..but not to be replaced by Dodds. Dodds has won 2 out 6 games he's been in charge and we have looked all over the shop in 4 of those. The two games in league 1 and Swansea on Saturday, oh and Bristol City away. People go on as tho he's Pep cos he beat Leeds with 11 men behind the ball. That was an absolute shambles on Saturdsy. His formation, tactics, were all over the place. We shouldn't just be accepting to write a season off with 13 games to go for a club of our size.

The season was written off in November, marra.

The question is only what happens next in the summer.

Our squad is too good, just about, for a total meltdown. But I’d expect us to drift to 14th or so. In many ways, from where we are now, might be best result long-term.

it was, but please let’s not turn on Dodds. He’s tidying up the mess best he can. If we turn on him after one game there is no way the players will recover. He’s interim, let’s give him a break

Speakman is s different matter, he and the board do need to be held accountable
You were saying this las week beofre the game..saying somebody hasn't done well isn't 'turning' on anyone. It's me saying he is part of the problem as a first team coach who has seen off a lot of Head coaches. Dodds said he didn't want the job when offered after Mowbray as he wasn't ready. He shouldn't have taken it this time. Him and Proctor need to go and get coaches in with fresh ideas. They should be held responsible aswel....just another Robbie Stockdale.
The season was written off in November, marra.

The question is only what happens next in the summer.

Our squad is too good, just about, for a total meltdown. But I’d expect us to drift to 14th or so. In many ways, from where we are now, might be best result long-term.
..well iwas giving them the benefit of the doubt saying we had given up after 13 games. It's an absolute joke mate...we go on as though we are a tiny club man.

Last edited:
Dodds is the devil we know I don’t think folk are expecting anything special under him. They have shot themselves in the foot massively and when they do their lessons learned at the end of the season I hope all of this is not swept under the carpet and speakeasy is held accountable.
I can put up with Dodds being mediocre at best as he isn’t a head coach and is a long way off being one. Beale on the other hand couldn’t do what he was brought in to do and he just pushed my buttons like.

Dodds is the devil we know I don’t think folk are expecting anything special under him. They have shot themselves in the foot massively and when they do their lessons learned at the end of the season I hope all of this is not swept under the carpet and speakeasy is held accountable.
I can put up with Dodds being mediocre at best as he isn’t a head coach and is a long way off being one. Beale on the other hand couldn’t do what he was brought in to do and he just pushed my buttons like.
Rocky sbragia like appointment

Butland isn’t a big fan of Beales all, from what I’ve been told they had a few run in’s with Beale. he plays golf with a Jambo pal of mine as they live in the same apartment block in Glasgows west end, same gaff as some of the Celtic Koreans.
Me mate was pissing himself when we appointed Beale.

Beale was proven not to be a leader before he joined Sunderland and I suspect Dodds will be the same. It’s not a judgement on them as people just their capabilities.

The lines have got really blurred between Head Coaches and Manager in football but particularly at our club.
Being a head coach needs no less skills than being a manager, the difference being other people are accountable for things like the actual transfers and Academy’s etc.

In our case we seem to think a head coach can lead a team because he’s a good coach only .

Malcolm Crosby was the best example of that folly.

Sunderland football club needs a proven leader of players, of the club, of fans , of the community. Mowbray had it, Neil had it BSA had it, Reid had it….. and you need to be able to coach and all those could do that as well.

The club has to stop dumming down the role of Head Coach to serve Speakmans career and demand a credible appointment. 4 managers have all been sacrificed on his alter in the last 2 and a bit years, Dodds will probably be the next to suffer

In the meantime Dodds deserves our every support, because frankly he’s doing everyone a favour right now. I don’t envy the position he has put himself in at all.

Beale was proven not to be a leader before he joined Sunderland and I suspect Dodds will be the same. It’s not a judgement on them as people just their capabilities.

The lines have got really blurred between Head Coaches and Manager in football but particularly at our club.
Being a head coach needs no less skills than being a manager, the difference being other people are accountable for things like the actual transfers and Academy’s etc.

In our case we seem to think a head coach can lead a team because he’s a good coach only .

Sunderland football club needs a proven leader of players, of the club, of fans , of the community. Mowbray had it, Neil had it BSA had it, Reid had it….. and you need to be able to coach and all those could do that as well.

The club has to stop dumming down the role of Head Coach to serve Speakmans career and demand a credible appointment. 4 managers have all been sacrificed on his alter in the last 2 and a bit years, Dodds will probably be the next to suffer

In the meantime Dodds deserves our every support, because frankly he’s doing everyone a favour right now. I don’t envy the position he has put himself in at all.
I think it’s the big transition away from managers to head coaches, a head coach as you say is someone with the presence and the leadership, a lot of your successful present day head coaches under more traditional set ups would be and could be managers.
Where as a coach stepping up to head coach is something different he’s doing the next job up the ladder and it takes the big characters to fill these roles.
Ya spot on he deserves our support he’s doing everyone a big big favour and if the chosen one demands he brings his own assistants Dodds and or proctor could be gone we just don’t know.

it was, but please let’s not turn on Dodds. He’s tidying up the mess best he can. If we turn on him after one game there is no way the players will recover. He’s interim, let’s give him a break

Speakman is s different matter, he and the board do need to be held accountable
That’s the key thing, Dodds may or be the man for the job, but as long as he shuffles us to the end of the season it’s far better to get a manager in the summer when everyone moves about.
Mid season = beale type anarchy

Do you know the one thing all those names have in common and why they done well here????...no corporate bullshit. All down to earth blokes, no airs and graces about them. That is the connection they had with the fans, because we, as fans, are the same. Add Keane to that list aswel.

the head coach is not the leader of the club..they are the leader of the first team...
alex ferguson couldnt coach worth shit..thats why he never did it much he just hired top coaches..

While things are going well now, they endured a poor start to the campaign under Beale. Butland credits Philippe Clement for the transformation over the past six months, as Beale's tenure was simply going nowhere. He said: “As a group, we were scrambling. We weren't in a good spot.4 hours ago

We’ve only had one game without him. I think they might need a bit longer to get over his toxic influence as it’s clear their confidence is on the floor.
I think it goes to show that people massively overrate the importance of the manager/head coach, especially in the short term. What really matters is the quality of the players and that's out of the hands of the head coach, apart from coaching them up which takes time.

Back