Bulking - Where to start.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26533

I said that I would do a more detailed post on the topics of “bulking” and “cutting” earlier today, so I’m going to start with the topic of bulking, since there have been a few questions regarding it recently and also this is the time of year where a lot of people will be looking to add some mass. Managed to get this done earlier than expected, too.

Where to start?

Use a website such as the below to calculate your daily energy requirements:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

This website will overestimate your energy requirements the higher your body fat percentage is, so you may want to use the calculation from the following thread:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=690756

Anyhow, both of these will only give an estimate; don’t take the figure that you get as your definite energy expenditure.

Rates of Gain

After you’ve got a rough idea of your total daily energy expenditure, it’s going to depend what level of training you’re at as to what you do now. In one of Lyle McDonald put this model out (1,2,3,4+ refer to years of proper training and the other colums refer to muscle gain):

1 20-25 pounds per year (2 pounds per month)
2 10-12 pounds per year (1 pound per month)
3 5-6 pounds per year (0.5 pound per month)
4+ 2-3 pounds per year (not worth calculating)

Again, this isn’t going to be the same for everybody, but it gives a good idea as to realistic rates of gain. When you’re new to training, haven’t been training very intelligently or coming off a long lay-off from training, your growth potential is going to be greater than that of an advanced lifter. As you can see, an advanced lifter isn’t going to be gaining a great deal of muscle mass over the course of a year, so it wouldn’t make sense for him to be in as much of a caloric surplus, as if he was to try and gain say 1lb per week, over the course of a year that is around 52lbs; that’s a great recipe for getting fat.

Note, the chart from Lyle is about muscle gain, not fat. So in a new lifter, you’re generally going to lose some fat AND gain some muscle, so if the net gain on the scales isn’t what is shown in that scale, don’t go and shovel a ton of extra calories down your throat if your lifts are going up and you’re looking better in the mirror.

Constructing a Diet

Since this is looking at bulking, once you have your estimated maintenance calories, you’re going to want to add calories so that you’re in a caloric surplus. However, as I mentioned, the ‘size’ is going to be dependent upon a host of factors. An example I’ll use is a 180lb male with 2 years solid training experience. I’d generally aim to have them gain at most, 0.5lbs per week (it’s not a case of “fuck, gained 0.6lbs this week” though), so ‘ideal’ calorie surplus would be around 250kcal, but the problem with this is, unless your day to day activity is consistent, there are going to be plenty of days where you may end up eating at maintenance calories, or even in a deficit; so if you’re a person that is prone to spontaneous bouts of energy expenditure through your job, or lifestyle, I’d say go higher.

Once you have your estimate calorie requirements, you’re going to want to break that up in to macronutrient requirements (macronutrients are protein, carbs, fat; often referred to as just ‘macros’). This is very individual and varies from person to person, although there are some general guidelines I’ll put out:

Protein – 1g per lb of bodyweight
Fat – 0.4g per lb of bodyweight
Carbs – Non Essential

So for the 180lb example, I’ll say he has a total daily energy expenditure of 3,000kcal. He works a desk job, so energy expenditure is relatively consistent, to gain he’s going to want 3,250kcal per day. The problem with this is that if people are trying to hit the EXACT same number of calories every single day all year round, things can get a bit ‘OCD’, so I’d advise macronutrient ranges that I’d work out something like this:

180 – 200g Protein
475 – 500g Carbs
72 – 80g Fat

The minimum he’d be eating if he was to have 180/475/72, would be 3268kcal and the most he’d be eating if he was to have 200/500/80, would be 3520kcal. (For those who do not know, 1g protein/carbs = approx 4 kcal, 1g of fat = approx 9 kcal. You don’t need to eat 1g per lb of protein and you don’t need to eat 0.4g per lb of fat, but those are just general guidelines (wouldn’t go lower on the fat, though). For example, if you wanted to you could go higher protein/lower carbs or higher fat/lower carbs, or whatever; everybody is going to respond differently to different macro breakdowns though, so it’s worth playing around with, but that’s a starting point.

Next, I want to make the point that 'clean' or 'dirty' foods do not exist. Eat a varied diet and apply common sense and moderation. Don't completely eliminate anything from your diet because people tell you it's 'dirty'. Here are a few quotes from some extremely knowledgable people in the industry:

Leigh Peele: "Clean" food is a myth. There is no such thing as clean eating. There is such a things as choosing nutrient dense foods, but contrary to popular belief this has little to do with whole foods.

Jamie Hale: What is clean eating? Clean eating for the low-carber means anything low-moderate carbohydrate, for the low-fat advocate basically anything low-moderate fat. The whole natural food advocates define clean eating as eating minimally processed, natural foods. In other words, cleaning eating means different things to different people.

Alan Aragon: It really makes no difference from a purely physiological standpoint as long as macronutrition is in check. This is evidenced by the mere fact that you can take ten different coaches (or competitors) and see that they have ten distinctly different approaches to pre-contest preparation. Nevertheless, their athletes will all show up on stage at the maximal degree of leanness that their genetics will allow. You’ll never see a competitor magically show up in better shape than he once did all because of switching out one doughnut per week with a cup of brown rice and a tablespoon of olive oil.

On a final note about clean versus dirty dieting, the effects of eating hot dogs and syrup for your protein, carbs, and fat versus eating typical health-nut bodybuilding fare would only impact the athlete in the long term. I’m talking about the cumulative effect of years of not ingesting disease preventive and immune enhancing nutrients typically lacking in classic junk food.

So, in summary; just make sure the food you eat fits into your macros and that you are getting plenty of the vitamins/minerals in your diet.

Training

Going to keep this last bit relatively short, as a novice the best programme IMO is a 5x5 with accessory work. When you’re just starting out you want to familiarise yourself with the main compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench), get stronger and add muscle; a 5x5 with accessory work is a very good way to make sure you’re doing all of those.

Summary

Calculate energy requirements
Calculate macronutrients
Follow a good, structured training programme
Track Progress (pictures, weight, training etc)

Any questions, just ask. I’ve probably missed something out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers. Funny you should write this because I was jut considering doing something like this for the next 6 months to see where I can get to.

Nice write up, Titus.

Have you - or anyone else - got any decent tips for hitting macronutrient goals?

I'm trying to stick to a 4000kcal a day diet, and it's pretty tough to eat that much while getting enough protein and not resorting to eating utter shite regularly.

I started my bulk about a week ago and have figured out the following:

1) Adding cheese to meals helps a lot.
2) 100g of blitzed-up easy cook porridge oats can double the calorie content of a standard protein shake.

great post, needs a sticky imo.

Just changed myfitnesspal.com goals to match these nutritional values and i'll come back to the cutting version after christmas :p

class read that titus and pretty much what i did from last oct to summer 2012, i managed to get up to 13.5 stone, i am currently 13.26 which I am happy with. I was actually surprised with the amount of effective managing your diet can boost your muscle growth

Nice write up, Titus.

Have you - or anyone else - got any decent tips for hitting macronutrient goals?

I'm trying to stick to a 4000kcal a day diet, and it's pretty tough to eat that much while getting enough protein and not resorting to eating utter shite regularly.

I started my bulk about a week ago and have figured out the following:

1) Adding cheese to meals helps a lot.
2) 100g of blitzed-up easy cook porridge oats can double the calorie content of a standard protein shake.

Struggling to hit my goals food wise here like, and im eating loads.

Try liquid calories if you're struggling. If you're chosing the generic 'clean' bodybuilding foods that are very satiating, then it's obviously going to make things harder.

class read that titus and pretty much what i did from last oct to summer 2012, i managed to get up to 13.5 stone, i am currently 13.26 which I am happy with. I was actually surprised with the amount of effective managing your diet can boost your muscle growth

Cheers mate.

Yeah, a lot of people tend to overthink the little things that aren't going to make any measurable difference (if at all), when really above everything else they should be concerned with being consistent with a good training programme and hitting a certain amount of protein/carbs/fat each day (and obviously getting the micronutrients in too).

Any ideas Titus on what else i can scran, or any liquids that could bump my calorie intake up.

At the moments I'm genuinely eating this on a day to day basis..

Boiled Eggs/Poached Eggs/Scrambled Eggs for breakfast with a protein shake.

Lunch im having an Omellette or chicken breast with sweet taties, Yoghurt with honey.

Snacking on packs of blueberries/strawberries and another shake.

Tea im having steak, taties and veg, or another meat. Pint of milk and maybe a bit ice cream.

Im still a canny way under, somehow.

Higher fat milk or milk with nesquik powder added, whey shakes, ice-cream, peanut butter, pizza, chocolate, olive oil, bagals etc.

Some of the above foods may be considered 'shite' but if you're fitting them in to what is overall a good diet (hitting macros relative to requirements, fibre & micronutrients) then it's not. An example; a diet of JUST pizza is 'shite', but your diet with pizza to help you meet your requirements isn't (a lot pizzas actually have a decent micronutrient profile tbh) ;)

Play around with the macro choices too. If you feel like you can sacrifice some carbs for more fat because it's easier to get calories from, then do that, same goes the other way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Higher fat milk or milk with nesquik powder added, whey shakes, ice-cream, peanut butter, pizza, chocolate, olive oil, bagals etc.

Some of the above foods may be considered 'shite' but if you're fitting them in to what is overall a good diet (hitting macros relative to requirements, fibre & micronutrients) then it's not. An example; a diet of JUST pizza is 'shite', but your diet with pizza to help you meet your requirements isn't (a lot pizzas actually have a decent micronutrient profile tbh) ;)

Play around with the macro choices too. If you feel like you can sacrifice some carbs for more fat because it's easier to get calories from, then do that, same goes the other way :)

Right titus...i'm 13 stone and a pound..6 foot 4 height..my calorie count is saying i need 3,200...i also like to do cardio...would that mean that i would need more calories to bulk?

Right titus...i'm 13 stone and a pound..6 foot 4 height..my calorie count is saying i need 3,200...i also like to do cardio...would that mean that i would need more calories to bulk?

Depending on the type of cardio I would of accounted for it the calorie requirement estimate as moderate activity. Since they're just estimates and there are a bunch of reasons that can influence your true energy expenditure, I'd just monitor your results and adjust accordingly

Also, would anybody else be up for a sub-section within Diet & Exercise for training logs? I think it would be decent to ask the mods if we could get enough people that would regularly contribute.

My friends view on bulking (except he doesn't call it that, he calls it getting massive because he doesnt actually know what cutting and bulking is) is;

Eat 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. Eat minimal fat and carbs. He seriously thinks he can gain mass while (apparently) cutting.

Or should I say ex friend as he got pissed off at me laughing at him trying to defend this method. Then again he's on steroids...

Oh and I'm a lass therefore I diven't knar what I'm talking about.

My friends view on bulking (except he doesn't call it that, he calls it getting massive because he doesnt actually know what cutting and bulking is) is;

Eat 1g protein per lb of bodyweight. Eat minimal fat and carbs. He seriously thinks he can gain mass while (apparently) cutting.

Or should I say ex friend as he got pissed off at me laughing at him trying to defend this method. Then again he's on steroids...

:evil: you promised not to say owt

:lol: Sounds like he's the one that doesn't know what he's talking about.

If he's on steroids then he's seriously undereating, unless his idea of minimal carbs is absolutely huge. You can get away with lower fats when you're on steroids because you're getting hormones from elsewhere.

You can also 'recomp' (improve body composition without bulking/cutting) a lot more efficiently on certain gear than natural, though. Trenbolone is fantastic for this since it has very profound effects on nutrient partitioning and skeletal tissue insulin sensitivity. If your mate had massive coughing fits and flu-type symptoms, I'd say he was probably on tren.

When you are natural, focusing on cutting or bulking is what you should do; usually trying to do both ends up in a massive case of fuckarounditis.

If you're enhanced, you have allsorts of stuff you can fuck around with to shed fat at a retarded rate (it really is like magic), but I'd still bulk and then cut.

Any ideas Titus on what else i can scran, or any liquids that could bump my calorie intake up.

At the moments I'm genuinely eating this on a day to day basis..

Boiled Eggs/Poached Eggs/Scrambled Eggs for breakfast with a protein shake.

Lunch im having an Omellette or chicken breast with sweet taties, Yoghurt with honey.

Snacking on packs of blueberries/strawberries and another shake.

Tea im having steak, taties and veg, or another meat. Pint of milk and maybe a bit ice cream.

Im still a canny way under, somehow.

200g or so of cottage cheese just before bed would be good. have a tin of tuna as a snack, or other cheap foods like tinned sardines and mackerel or even 'fresh' mackerel - 3 fillets for £1.50 in aldi for example. nuts (unsalted, unroasted) like cashews are a very good source of protein and decent fats. also can snack on natural peanut butter - although (despite the price) woudl opt for whole earth or meridian rather than your sunpats, or tesco/asda own brands as it is pretty much 100% peanuts, and no shit added. you coudl also try making your own bars - 3 MP scoops of whey, some peanut butter mixed with a bit natural set honey in the microwave, oats and a bit milk to put it together and add in what you like such as sultanas, flaked almonds, cashews etc - oven for 12 mins = 6 decent sized bars. there are loads of cheapish stuff out there. even basic things like replacing marg spread with quark cheese (really high in protein and low in fat). this is also good on oatcakes, and maybe add a mackerel fillet or summit on top.

it is bloody expensive to eat big and 'well', but you can get other things (like most mentioned above) relatively cheap. also pink salmon tin in aldi is £1 - will be well over £2 in tesco. can get some decent stuff in aldi.

Any recommendations for a gym where they'll show you how to do things like squat and deadlier safely as part of the induction?

Gyms I've been to before just show you how to use the machines.

Was gonna get a barbell for home use but figure I'd probably end up killing or crippling mesell.

Any recommendations for a gym where they'll show you how to do things like squat and deadlier safely as part of the induction?

Gyms I've been to before just show you how to use the machines.

Was gonna get a barbell for home use but figure I'd probably end up killing or crippling mesell.

Best way to do it would be to video yourself as then post it online for critique. Nobody is going to get the squat/deadlift perfect from the off, so videos for critique every so often is probably best.

I think in most gyms you'd be more likely to be told how deads will kill you than get taught the correct form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back