Broad Versus Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

essex boy

Striker
''England's pace attack supposedly does not bowl looseners these days but Anderson's first ball had an old-fashioned feel, a slow full toss that virtually announced in one delivery that this was no place for fast bowlers even on the days when the desert was a comparatively cool 18C and there was cloud cover about. England fans instructed to show decorum and keep their shirts on needed little encouragement. Only Newcastle United football fans would have disrobed in such weather.

Taufeeq had one uncomfortable moment when he deflected a ball from Anderson into his grille, seeking to turn the ball into the legside, but the pitch was so slow it rested against his face like a disorientated butterfly. It was not long before Broad and Anderson began to mentally reduce their likely number of overs in the day.

By tea, though, Panesar's figures were taking a turn for the worst and Misbah was forcing a rethink. ''

Anderson is a good bowler, Broad is class and class will always out in the end.

Same team, compliment each other well.

I guess both myself and the England selectors are happy with them.

Has Broads bowling average come way down over the last 6 months, last time I checked it was mid 30s and he is now down to 31.97 :eek:

Anderson for me. Both bowlers have improved no end in difficult conditions, Anderson was great in Australia and Broad in this series is doing superbly well. However you cant discount bowling in conditions that are favourable - you can get seamers wickets in many different parts of the world and Anderson is superb at exploiting conditions in his favour.

Really happy with both players - by the time Broad has finished his career and improves even more he may well be looked back on as an all time great.

Comparisons arent really needed by modern day standards and thats all that matters they are both excellent.

Anderson for me. Both bowlers have improved no end in difficult conditions, Anderson was great in Australia and Broad in this series is doing superbly well. However you cant discount bowling in conditions that are favourable - you can get seamers wickets in many different parts of the world and Anderson is superb at exploiting conditions in his favour.

Really happy with both players - by the time Broad has finished his career and improves even more he may well be looked back on as an all time great.

Comparisons arent really needed by modern day standards and thats all that matters they are both excellent.

I believe Anderson has probably reached his nadar and wont get much better, whereas Broad could go a lot further due to more natural ability.

I would be dissapointed if Broad had a test bowling average of anymore than 27 in a year or so.

Anderson has definitely improved but Im not sure there is much more to come and he has probably reached his peak as a bowler.

Going over old ground but 3rd and 4th tests in Aus sides opted to bowl first, unheard of in AUstralia, especially after 'Nassers test' at Brisbane a few years back. Conditions were more English like in some of those tests so although he did well this has to be factored in.

These asian wickets are as far from English wickets as you could find and Broad has been the best seamer on both sides in this series by a country mile with Gul also performing admirably.

I believe Anderson has probably reached his nadar and wont get much better, whereas Broad could go a lot further due to more natural ability.

I would be dissapointed if Broad had a test bowling average of anymore than 27 in a year or so.

Anderson has definitely improved but Im not sure there is much more to come and he has probably reached his peak as a bowler.

Going over old ground but 3rd and 4th tests in Aus sides opted to bowl first, unheard of in AUstralia, especially after 'Nassers test' at Brisbane a few years back. Conditions were more English like in some of those tests so although he did well this has to be factored in.

These asian wickets are as far from English wickets as you could find and Broad has been the best seamer on both sides in this series by a country mile with Gul also performing admirably.

I agree 100% with all of that.

I still dont go along with the Aussie argument given that records were broken left, right and centre for the amount of runs scored, partnerships created etc but I think we have done that one to death.

I agree 100% with all of that.

I still dont go along with the Aussie argument given that records were broken left, right and centre for the amount of runs scored, partnerships created etc but I think we have done that one to death.

I believe the Aussie attack to have improved since we played them but that purely my own viewpoint. They seemed to have unearthed a few decent quicks although havent seen much of them and now have a regular spinner as oppose to the three or four they used against us

Not sure there's any need comparing our 2 best bowlers, given they are both automatic picks and very different in styles.

Broad bowled excellent today but Jimmy didn't bowl badly either, could have had at least a couple on another day and his biggest development in the last 18 months - keeping it tight and bowling line and length when the conditions aren't in his favour.

Not sure there's any need comparing our 2 best bowlers, given they are both automatic picks and very different in styles.

Broad bowled excellent today but Jimmy didn't bowl badly either, could have had at least a couple on another day and his biggest development in the last 18 months - keeping it tight and bowling line and length when the conditions aren't in his favour.

this is one part of his game i have been hugely impressed with of late.

It's the one area of his game I was always critical of but he's really tightened that up in the last year or so - credit to him.

I think it started a couple of years ago in the West Indies on their flatter than flat pitches. He bowled tremendously well out there, reversing it and being very economical and had little or no luck. Since then he really has tightened his lines and its very rare now that he is expensive on days when he isnt taking wickets. Equally I love the way Broad is learning - he is much better now at knowing the right lengths to bowl on different pitches. Hes always had potential, hes now a quality bowler and he isnt going to get better and better.

I think it started a couple of years ago in the West Indies on their flatter than flat pitches. He bowled tremendously well out there, reversing it and being very economical and had little or no luck. Since then he really has tightened his lines and its very rare now that he is expensive on days when he isnt taking wickets. Equally I love the way Broad is learning - he is much better now at knowing the right lengths to bowl on different pitches. Hes always had potential, hes now a quality bowler and he isnt going to get better and better.

Good post. I forgot about how well Anderson performed on those docile pitches in the WIndies and the improvement in that side of his game has been continual since.

I was one who advocating dropping Broad for the first test of the India series, not through any lack of ability but sheer lack of performance and it wasn't as if there were no capable replacements in line. He has been nothing short of superb since and this is the cricketer we all expected him to develop into. He seems to have learnt very quickly in the summer that he's a much more dangerous bowler when he bowls a fuller length rather than trying to be an enforcer and banging it half way down more often than not. Long may it continue, he's great to watch at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back