British Trains.

There’s some excellent deals out there if booked in advance and are flexible on travel. Some examples that we’ve done this season

Newcastle to Birmingham £31 return by buying advance singles Newcastle to Carlisle and then Carlisle to Birmingham and the same split on the way back. Newcastle to Huddersfield was £11 each way (typically just after we bought them, TPE had an offer on of £1 each way).

Newcastle to Kings Cross for the Watford game £50 return.

Durham to Swansea was £43.25, however booking Durham to Manchester, Manchester to Swansea would’ve put the price up to over £80. The return journey we had to book Swansea to Manchester, Manchester to Slaithwate and Slaithwate to Durham to get the price down to under £40.
what's the times on that then? add much more to the usual journey?

Got a return from Munich to Nuremberg yesterday. Gutted that there wasn't a bloke in a trench coat and trilby wishing me, 'Good luck!'

Standards are clearly slipping on Deutsche Bahn.
Aye. Went from munich centre to the airport last year. It was 1 minute late arriving. Truly shocking standards from the Germans

Absolutely shite. On way back from London, people have paid £130 plus for a return ticket. Not enough seats, limited luggage storage, and the hot drinks service is off. Oh, and it was delayed by 25 minutes too.
Does anyone of worst train services in Europe?
Possibly not, but a lot of them are bad. Germany's are in quite a bad state - expensive (for both travellers and tax payers), overcrowded, and regularly delayed.

Possibly not, but a lot of them are bad. Germany's are in quite a bad state - expensive (for both travellers and tax payers), overcrowded, and regularly delayed.
Travelled around Germany last year and they do have their problems. Not one of my trains was on time but they did tend to be a lot bigger and certainly more spacious in standard class. Luggage was a bit of a pain as they tended to have mainly overhead storage which can be difficult when you have big cases. Tickets weren’t always available to buy online so had to use the machines in the stations. The machines are horrendous to use, press one wrong button and it’s back to the start, and you always get accosted by the incredibly smelly tramps while you are using them.

The state of the German railway is the reason German government owned DB are selling their European businesses - to improve the running of their own.

A third of long distance trains in Germany are late
The international operators are spot on mind
Travelled around Germany last year and they do have their problems. Not one of my trains was on time but they did tend to be a lot bigger and certainly more spacious in standard class. Luggage was a bit of a pain as they tended to have mainly overhead storage which can be difficult when you have big cases. Tickets weren’t always available to buy online so had to use the machines in the stations. The machines are horrendous to use, press one wrong button and it’s back to the start, and you always get accosted by the incredibly smelly tramps while you are using them.

The state of the German railway is the reason German government owned DB are selling their European businesses - to improve the running of their own.
From where I travel with work Holland, Belgium, Czech, Slovak, Hungary their trains are superb, France and Germany not so much

Last edited:
Priced up for 4 of us to go to London in May. £401 by rail and all of the potential problems that could give us or £280 to fly

We're flying down
We priced up this morning for end April. Friday AM down and Sunday evening back.
Train 1st Class: £540 return for two. Central Station parking £30
Fly BA Business and Pre-booked return to Central London: £320. Premium Parking at NCL Airport £76.
Arrive in London / back home around the same time.
Much prefer the train but not paying a £174 premium to do so.

We priced up this morning for end April. Friday AM down and Sunday evening back.
Train 1st Class: £540 return for two. Central Station parking £30
Fly BA Business and Pre-booked return to Central London: £320. Premium Parking at NCL Airport £76.
Arrive in London / back home around the same time.
Much prefer the train but not paying a £174 premium to do so.
What weekend? You can do that last weekend in April for 350 quid in first class, travelling in peak times. If you do standard class it can be done for 150 (with a 2 Together railcard) on Lumo.

280 quid return in first class on LNER with a Two Together railcard on those dates and times. 173 quid return if you don't mind sitting with the peasants.
I am too old to sit in steerage. Flights booked now. That said, i just checked again and still don't see your prices!!
I do now know who to message for my next journey!
:lol:

Travelled all over Germany by train for 3 days - nothing later than 2 min and service brilliant - cheap as fuck aswell

Best experience on them tbf

Back