British Trains.

Funnily enough I am just checking rail fairs for late March, Luton to Sheffield and the prices are just disgraceful for when my flight gets in.
Around 90 quid for a 2 hour journey!!!

And the bogs are always an absolute mess.

Absolutely shite. On way back from London, people have paid £130 plus for a return ticket. Not enough seats, limited luggage storage, and the hot drinks service is off. Oh, and it was delayed by 25 minutes too.
Does anyone of worst train services in Europe?

There is a spoof but true ad where people in the EU are praising and thanking our train companies - it seems most of our railway companies are partly owned by European railways and they use the dividends to reduce the tickets on their own networks,

Absolutely shite. On way back from London, people have paid £130 plus for a return ticket. Not enough seats, limited luggage storage, and the hot drinks service is off. Oh, and it was delayed by 25 minutes too.
Should be privatised……
They’re a joke these days. Ran and continuing to be ran into the ground. I wouldn’t bother travelling on them these days as too unreliable. Reasons for cancellations are generally lies. Been driving them nearly 40 years.
So it’s your fault.
Just checking Seville to Cadiz and they are 13 euro each way.
Nice clean trains as well, with trolley service.

Last edited:
It only cost £26 for me and my mate to go from Newcastle to Norwich and back, yesterday, and all the trains ran to timetable. First Class too.

Very reasonable if you ask me.

Last edited:
We have some of the most expensive and some of the most cheapest rail fares in Europe. All depends whether you travel on the day or in advance.

A big problem with England is that, of the large countries in Europe, we are the most densley populated. So just like our road network, its very difficult to make it run well when its so congested.

Only France and Germany have more rail users than us but then France is 4x bigger than England and Germany nearly 3x bigger.

Certainly infrastructure improvements could help. Ive used double decker trains in Holland, France and Germany which were great.

It genuinely amazes me that Ryanair can fly people for a few hours for £50 while the trains want £100 between London and the NE.

Just think of the costs of running a plane, and divide it over 150ish seats,

Now think of the costs of running a train, and divide it over 500 seats. (More if you include that some seats will be used more than once on a journey!)

Yet still the railways can't turn a profit? Something doesn't add up

Back