Bristol Rovers Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
At ours, for the distance they travelled and position in the league, I thought they brought the most and were the loudest of any away fans all season. I also thought their away fans were also class in town beforehand.

Today the fans I encountered were welcoming and just as down to earth. Might just be me but I didn’t know much about them before this season, but they’ve gone up massively in my opinion! A billion times better then the likes of Portsmouth fans.

Agreed. I met a load on the metro when travelling to the home fixture. Tbh my first thought was that they could be bother. Could not have been more wrong. Excellent lads with a down to earth attitude who were all looking forward to ticking SoL off their list. Best visiting fans this year, though Wycombe weren't far behind.

True. You could and would get trouble everywhere. Bigger clubs like Man United, I think it was random but at a smaller club like Bristol Rovers it was often worse than the bigger clubs.
My worst ever experience and I include Millwall Xhelsea Spurs in my travels, was Swansea ![/QUOTE]

Were you at Swansea in 79, we lost 3-1, maybe Allan Brown scored, about 400 of us in the side.
We were in a pub called ( I think) the Price of Wales, slightly uphill from the ground.
It was full of Sunderland early on, but then began to fill up with home fans.
The fighting started in the pub and spilled out onto the streets.
Quite a few scrapping around me,( I wasn't even 18 then), as I just walked through the middle of it
Or that's the way I remember it anyway.

Two years later, in Division 1, I remember similar scenes, as a Sunderland fan literally drooling at the mouth managed to talk himself into being arrested.
That time, we decided on the Friday night after the driver had had about 4 pints to go to Swansea at closing time.
The driver didn't drink any more we did.
Got to Swansea, waited for the pubs to open, had a drink, saw us lose, the driver wanted to stop at Newport for a nap on the way back , we said no, made it to somewhere near Worcester before he stopped outside a pub so he could sleep for an hour.
We were falling asleep in the pub.
Got back in the car, the driver drove off, we passed out and were awoken by a horrendous scraping noise as the driver had fallen asleep and scraped the side of the car along the barriers of the central reservation on the motorway.
Got home on Sunday morning lucky to be alive.
The driver had had one hours sleep since he got up for work on Friday morning.

True. You could and would get trouble everywhere. Bigger clubs like Man United, I think it was random but at a smaller club like Bristol Rovers it was often worse than the bigger clubs.
My worst ever experience and I include Millwall Xhelsea Spurs in my travels, was Swansea !
Will try again as I ballsed up the last one.

Were you at Swansea in 79, we lost 3-1, maybe Allan Brown scored, about 400 of us in the side.
We were in a pub called ( I think) the Price of Wales, slightly uphill from the ground.
It was full of Sunderland early on, but then began to fill up with home fans.
The fighting started in the pub and spilled out onto the streets.
Quite a few scrapping around me,( I wasn't even 18 then), as I just walked through the middle of it
Or that's the way I remember it anyway.

Two years later, in Division 1, I remember similar scenes, as a Sunderland fan literally drooling at the mouth managed to talk himself into being arrested.
That time, we decided on the Friday night after the driver had had about 4 pints to go to Swansea at closing time.
The driver didn't drink any more we did.
Got to Swansea, waited for the pubs to open, had a drink, saw us lose, the driver wanted to stop at Newport for a nap on the way back , we said no, made it to somewhere near Worcester before he stopped outside a pub so he could sleep for an hour.
We were falling asleep in the pub.
Got back in the car, the driver drove off, we passed out and were awoken by a horrendous scraping noise as the driver had fallen asleep and scraped the side of the car along the barriers of the central reservation on the motorway.
Got home on Sunday morning lucky to be alive.
The driver had had one hours sleep since he got up for work on Friday morning.

Last edited:
Err. Who did back then??

I believe strongly it was down to how you approached them (as part of a tribal group or as an individual).

For most of my SAFC supporting years I didn't live in the North East so made my own way to away games and sat in with the home fans in the main stand of their ground (I always enjoyed the 'banter' of the days before segregation) and preferred sitting to standing, especially once hooliganism became the norm.

Once there I would engage with my neighbours (not hiding my allegiance) but not being disrespectful to their club and normally would find that if any of their 'knuckle draggers' attempted to have a pop I didn't have to say a word - they would do it for me!

There were only a couple of occasions in more than 30 years that this approach didn't work (Charlton & Charlton again) but no real problems resulted.

Last edited:
I was in the Meade King stand (opposite the away standing), there were about six or seven lads near or around me who were obviously Sunderland, everyone talking openly, didn't see any bother.

I’m an exile now living near Bristol...was only my second visit to the memorial ground.
Rovers fans are way better than City....less arrogant, knowledgable and friendly.
The stadium is embarrassingly bad.....quaint I guess but not a fair representation of the stature of the club..... never recovered from losing Eastville.
No scoreboard, didn’t use floodlights, tannoy system that wouldn’t even be allowed by British rail...
They had a bad day at the office...didn’t realise how poor their home record was.....
Back on 10 days for the SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back