Bristol City fan in peace with all the local info for Saturday week

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're booked into the Mercure Holland House, travelling down the Shields lot. Been told by a few people that Bristol is good on the piss, looking forward to it.

I live on Hotwell Road, and would recommend any of the pubs in the area (Merchants is decent but a bit small, the Bear is a good rugby pub if you're watching the England game after the match, Mardyke has pints for £2 but I'm not sure how away fans would be received). Nova Scotia and the Pump house are the best bets due to size, wouldn't bother with any of the pubs near the ground. In town, the best pub by a mile is the White Lion, and the manager is a gas head so away fans will be welcomed.

Any X1 to X9 from the bus station will get you there, as well as the 71 opposite Debenhams. The 24 will also bypass hotwells and take you close enough to the ground.

I was at the last game, was nice watching us have decent players an that. Feel sorry for the younguns that have to go nowadays.

First time I went 197?, 1st away game of the season, night match.

3 RTA’S/incidents on the hitch down.

Team flew down & had to land at Cardiff cos weather was so bad ( inc a few fans iirc)

Jumped train back with Sammy & a few others, got caught at Brum :(

Not many of us there

Lost 3-0

Memorable :lol::lol::lol:

I live on Hotwell Road, and would recommend any of the pubs in the area (Merchants is decent but a bit small, the Bear is a good rugby pub if you're watching the England game after the match, Mardyke has pints for £2 but I'm not sure how away fans would be received). Nova Scotia and the Pump house are the best bets due to size, wouldn't bother with any of the pubs near the ground. In town, the best pub by a mile is the White Lion, and the manager is a gas head so away fans will be welcomed.

Any X1 to X9 from the bus station will get you there, as well as the 71 opposite Debenhams. The 24 will also bypass hotwells and take you close enough to the ground.

Except the X2. That just piles down the Long Ashton bypass, and doesn't stop between Merchants Road and Flax Bourton.

IMPORTANT Please buy your tickets in advance.
Why not give the plane a try and stay for the weekend?

Coming by road.

Do NOT USE M4/M32 route and don't try to negotiate the roads and streets of Bristol. YOU WILL GET LOST

Use M4/M5 southbound to junction 18(Avonmouth) then follow signs A4 Bristol airport. It looks the long way round but its quicker.

Parking is normally in the streets around the area as long as you are there by 1pm please don't block drive ways or park on corners.

Coming by train

There is a local train service to PARSON STREET from Bristol Temple Meads at 12:25 13:25 13:56 and 14:25

Good train times as most trains from the North or from the London direction arrive at quarter to the hour or quarter past the hour. It takes you two thirds of the way to the ground and walk the rest of the way return by train to Bristol T.M. is at 17:37pm. You will pass Sainsburys on the left with restaurant,Robins pub again on your left hand side.

When you approach the ground I suggest you walk past wickes using the pavement as the concourse area behind the big new stand gets very congested with bodies.

Please make sure you get your train ticket showing PARSON STREET. We are trying to promote PARSON STREET for football fans till Ashton gate halt comes on line.

If there are at least three of you get a taxi

Make sure the taxi driver drops you in the Ashton Road end as it a very long walk round from the other end

Or use the brown buses from the bottom of the incline of the station which depart approximate 13:55pm with returns just after the match finishes

On your return to London or the North the trains leave Bristol Temple Meads at 17:30pm and I think you will struggle to get back to Bristol Temple meads for 17:30pm

Casualty and Holby City were filmed in the City, don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both rubbish. The young ones was also filmed in the BS7 area of the City(actually its Bishopston). Finally the block of flats on the left behind the dolman stand side as you are in the away end is "the" block of flats in "fools and horses". Bring your camera and turn up early if you want to take any photo's.

Pubs
Possibly best one are in the cumberland road basin area novia scotia pump house and the cottage. Suggest park your car and then walk to the ground.

Buy your match day programme before you enter the away end.

Match Commentary
BBC Radio station is radio Bristol which has frequencies and 94:9 and DAB (and 95:5 up till 3pm), and the match commentary will be on BBC radio Bristol DAB.

last time Sunderland visited Ashton Gate was way back 19 February 1999.
When you won with a 89th minute Kevin Philips penalty
I was at that game.

Okay I'll try and answer a few questions that have been posed.
The young ones pub is opposite Waitrose in Westbury
Harbourside has plenty of places and a short walk across the centre is Corn Street
Mega bus arrivals short walk up to the Haymarket outside the bus station
Catch the 24 to Ashton Vale
Novia scotia,I'll have to check about the revamp
Tom Ritchie now a postman
Parachuting in?
best I can do,
is fly down and you'll be able to see Ashton Gate from the air
Weather permitting
Think Tom Ritchie is a retired postie now.I worked with him and Gerry Swee ney for a couple of years in Portishead,both top blokes although I don't think Tom enjoyed his time at Sunderland.

Had a lovely Goat curry once from a shop in Bristol...that is all...

Probably up Stokes Croft or Cheltenham Road. There are still a couple of good West Indian places up there. Or, if it was in the last couple of years, possibly Turtle Bay in the centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back