Brian Clough. A thank you.

Me too mate. Imagine how potent we would have been with him and Johnny Crossan paired up.

Stood outside the training pitch looking for autographs one day and he stormed out with a face like thunder, brushed me aside like a twig. He was a moody bugger, no question about that. :lol:
They did play together, Not many times, maybe only one but it did happen.

The agony on this photo shows how much he looks devastated by the injury that ended his career. Props to former player Arthur Wright for rushing onto the field to console Cloughie

Logon or register to see this image

Supposedly one of the first people to visit Gazza in hospital after he did his knee in the 1991 FA Cup Final was Cloughy.

My dad grew up in Derby around the same time when Clough was managing the Rams and got to meet him a few times when he was a young 'un. Got some cracking stories about him.

Sure he only scored one goal in his attempted comeback , in the Roker End IIRC , a header against Leeds?
But YES he was truly a one off.
Fulwell End is my recollection.
I guess when you're dealing with a character such as the redoubtable Mr Clough, rumours and stories abound. It's all part of the narrative of legend.

Likewise.
"All he does is score goals"!!

Last edited:
A handful of games yeh.
No more than six or seven before Cloughie was hurt. I also remember that Clough was banging them in and then I remembered Crossan’s debut, a 6-2 (sure) victory over Grimsby and Clough scored a hat trick. I can’t remember Crossan’s first goal, It took a few ganes to gain fitness.
? Norman Clarke
Yes, Irish lad, didn’t play too many before, I think, a cruciate injury which finished him. Made his debut against Middlesbrough at Roker, first game of the 62/63 season, 3-1 win, no I don’t have a book in front of me.
Fulwell End is my recollection.

"All he does is score goals"!!
Nowt else. Others would say, when he’s scoring no one else does, still my hero.

Last edited:
No more than six or seven before Cloughie was hurt. I also remember that Clough was banging them in and then I remembered Crossan’s debut, a 6-2 (sure) victory over Grimsby and Clough scored a hat trick. I can’t remember Crossan’s first goal, It took a few ganes to gain fitness.

Yes, Irish lad, didn’t play too many before, I think, a cruciate injury which finished him. Made his debut against Middlesbrough at Roker, first game of the 62/63 season, 3-1 win, no I don’t have a book in front of me.

Nowt else. Others would say, when he’s scoring no one else does, still my hero.
I wasn't saying that's what I thought about him, just imagining what some of the posters on here might say. As I said in my earlier post, the best goalscorer I have seen.

I wasn't saying that's what I thought about him, just imagining what some of the posters on here might say. As I said in my earlier post, the best goalscorer I have seen.
Sorry, I must have worded that incorrectly, i was repeating what I heard at that time, i am in agreement with you, i heard that said too. i am on your side.

Back