Brian Clough. A thank you.

What a player and what an outstanding scoring record , the club could do little else to reward his efforts . His career was tragically cut short and though he tried a comeback it was evident the injury had ended a short but goals filled career . One of the best goal scorers of all time Brian Clough !

What a player and what an outstanding scoring record , the club could do little else to reward his efforts . His career was tragically cut short and though he tried a comeback it was evident the injury had ended a short but goals filled career . One of the best goal scorers of all time Brian Clough !

The agony on this photo shows how much he looks devastated by the injury that ended his career. Props to former player Arthur Wright for rushing onto the field to console Cloughie

Logon or register to see this image

The agony on this photo shows how much he looks devastated by the injury that ended his career. Props to former player Arthur Wright for rushing onto the field to console Cloughie

I was there that day and can remember Harker Bury Goalkeeper and Bob Stokoe shouting at him to get up as they didn't think he was hurt , needless to say he certainly was . Strange that Stokoe was later to become our messiah when we won the FA Cup in 1973 , that day as it was Boxing Day and between him and Harker they spoilt my Xmas and I was a SAFC mad supporter and was only 9 .

I'm sure it's Arthur's son (Billy?) who took me around the fans museum a few weeks ago, nice bloke, and Cloughie was the business, if only they had let him pay back that gratitude by letting him manage us....

Back