Breathing advice from Queens Hospital for those infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think that’s advise for everyone not just those infected, the better you lung function the higher your survival chances if u get it

maybe raising your head/shoulders on the pillow opens up the airways 🤔
That’s what I assumed but I wasn’t sure if that would close them instead and actually be detrimental.

Edit: I’ve just tried it and it makes sense. Just keeps your chin up if anything.

Last edited:
Is this normal routine for pneumonia cases?

If this works so well, why is the general public being told by an unofficial video of a random nurse on twitter/facebook?

Seems fairly similar to what they were trying to do in child-friendly terms when my bairn had pneumonia. They had her blowing lots of bubbles out through hosing into a bowl of bubble water to try to get her to do big breaths out and start to shift the shit in her lungs. Unfortunately her dyspraxia meant her coordination was terrible and carnage ensued - sucking instead of blowing, bubbles all over the bloody ward and a physio vowing never ever to try that trick again! I can laugh about it now but at the time she was really really ill and on the border of needing to be ventilated.

Seems fairly similar to what they were trying to do in child-friendly terms when my bairn had pneumonia. They had her blowing lots of bubbles out through hosing into a bowl of bubble water to try to get her to do big breaths out and start to shift the shit in her lungs. Unfortunately her dyspraxia meant her coordination was terrible and carnage ensued - sucking instead of blowing, bubbles all over the bloody ward and a physio vowing never ever to try that trick again! I can laugh about it now but at the time she was really really ill and on the border of needing to be ventilated.

I watched that into the red zone on sky about Bergamo and they were turning patients there but it seemed to be more for comfort, so not lying in teh same position for hours, more than anything from what they were saying.

It was all when she was starting to fight the infection off and they needed to get the shit clogging her lungs shifting to the point where she'd do a productive cough - hard to balance the need for them to take it easy and conserve energy to keep breathing with the fact that staying very very still in a bed keeps all the clog in the lungs and trying to get it moving. Both of mine have been hospitalised for breathing problems at various points in the past and have needed to be moved around to stop them plugging up.

Looks like some of the standard healthy breathing techniques apart from the cough and lying on the front but I would add that you should breath in through your nose as this gets the air deeper to your lungs and apparently raises the pressure which helps removal of carbon dioxide which is also important.

Most people have shallow breathing using only the top part of the lungs, if you practice belly breathing you use all of your lungs.

Last edited:
I agree about the breathing in through your nose I have asthma and contracted pneumonia last year and that’s the advice I was given. I’ve never heard about lying in your front with a pillow From my experience it would really hurt, I used to sometimes sit at the kitchen table and rest my body on it which helped

If this works so well, why is the general public being told by an unofficial video of a random nurse on twitter/facebook?

There is a huge amount of advice on the internet about exercise, healthy living including breathing techniques.

The only thing new to me was the cough but that is obviously specific to people with pneumonia.

However, I would agree with you that as we are now asking people to self isolate at home with potential pneumonia this advice would be usefully put on the 111 website.

I watched that into the red zone on sky about Bergamo and they were turning patients there but it seemed to be more for comfort, so not lying in teh same position for hours, more than anything from what they were saying.
For elderly folk in particular - periodic turning when immobile / bed-bound is really important to prevent pressure ulcers - thats a standard protocol even with covid

Used quite frequently as it improves oxygenation, more often in people with acute respiratory distress syndrome and on ventilation. Frequent turning changes the pressures in different areas of the lungs so helps keep more alveoli open. It also reduces localised strain and it's thought that it will encourage drainage also.

Plenty of evidence to say that it improves oxygenation, however it's effects on death rates is poorly evidenced.

Only problem i have with this method is he inhales and fills his lungs through the mouth instead of by way of the nose... your nose and sinuses have antibodies to protect your lungs the mouth breathing can allow posible bacteria, allergens and viruses direct access into a place it wants to harm. No other animal or mammals inhale through the mouth... the diaphragm muscles act like bellows and strengthen the ability to breathe more effective.

Last edited:
I just don’t like the video at all. I think it should be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back