Bradman

TopCat

Striker
Just reading the TMS diary of last summer and there was a comment from (I think) Jim Maxwell that regardless of how good Steve Smith is, he was nothing compared to Bradman. After over 130 years of cricket, no-one's record even comes close to Don Bradman in terms of his average.

Now, I don't expect any posters on here to have seen him play, but has anyone got insight into just how good he was? You look at some of the unbelievable players in the last 20 years - Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kohli, Richards, Smith etc and as good as they are/were not one of them comes within 30 of his average, at even then it's only Steve Smith who gets that close. Was he a freak, or has cricket changed so much that he possibly wouldn't average as high in the modern game?

Just reading the TMS diary of last summer and there was a comment from (I think) Jim Maxwell that regardless of how good Steve Smith is, he was nothing compared to Bradman. After over 130 years of cricket, no-one's record even comes close to Don Bradman in terms of his average.

Now, I don't expect any posters on here to have seen him play, but has anyone got insight into just how good he was? You look at some of the unbelievable players in the last 20 years - Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Kohli, Richards, Smith etc and as good as they are/were not one of them comes within 30 of his average, at even then it's only Steve Smith who gets that close. Was he a freak, or has cricket changed so much that he possibly wouldn't average as high in the modern game?

Imo based on stats alone, there is very good argument he is the best sportsman ever, never mind best cricketer, cricket might have changed but the telling factor is even back then nobody was anywhere near his average.

Highly recommend the book by the way.
Imo based on stats alone, there is very good argument he is the best sportsman ever, never mind best cricketer, cricket might have changed but the telling factor is even back then nobody was anywhere near his average.
It's amazing really isn't it? Even the top sportsmen in their fields have people close to their records or people who supercede the eventually. Bradman is out there on his own by some distance. It's the athletics equivalent of someone running the 100m in 7 seconds

Last edited:

Back