Boxing Classes?

OOOSH YEAH

Striker
Anyone do this?

Ive been doing them since the start of the new year. Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying them but I’m absolutely knackered all the time off them. Like after 3 days my upper body is still killing.

Im in shape as in my main thing is climbing and hiking but this has shown me I could really do with some upper body training. Would it be wise to be focusing in the gym on anything or would it just be better to keep doing the classes and it’ll just become second nature?

It doesn’t seem to be getting any easier if not worse.
My upper arms and stomach muscles are absolutely killing me.

Last edited:

Anyone do this?

Ive been doing them since the start of the new year. Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying them but I’m absolutely knackered all the time off them. Like after 3 days my upper body is still killing.

Im in shape as in my main thing is climbing and hiking but this has shown me I could really do with some upper body training. Would it be wise to be focusing in the gym on anything or would it just be better to keep doing the classes and it’ll just become second nature?

Where do you do your boxing classes?

What kind of classes is it just boxer fit or actual boxing training and sparing?

I tend to go just to boxing fit now. Getting too old for sparring and the Mrs would lay an egg if I got in at 10.30pm 3 nights a week. I just about manage to get away with 8.30pm

The fitness class I go to is immense. Circa 24 bags of different combinations speeds and power levels. 1 and a half mins each, each with as much effort as you can muster.

Then a gruelling 20 min set of stomach exercises, press ups and squat/jumps. All focusing on endurance and explosive strength and twitching fibres.

It's really well thought out and you feel like you have been kicked all over by the end of the workout.

If a person comes back after session 1 then they tend to keep coming back.

The boxing sessions are more technical, they tend to focus of parries, blocks and stance with some sparring. It's a different workout, not intense like the other but your brain and technique get a good workout.

The boxing is also fun because they are all good lads with a lot of respect for each other.

Love it me. Prefer the fitness now though.

Last edited:
I tend to go just to boxing fit now. Getting too old for sparring and the Mrs would lay an egg if I got in at 10.30pm 3 nights a week. I just about manage to get away with 8.30pm

The fitness class I go to is immense. Circa 24 bags of different combinations speeds and power levels. 1 and a half mins each, each with as much effort as you can muster.

Then a gruelling 20 min set of stomach exercises, press ups and squat/jumps. All focusing on endurance and explosive strength and twitching fibres.

It's really well thought out and you feel like you have been kicked all over by the end of the workout.

If a person comes back after session 1 then they tend to keep coming back.

The boxing sessions are more technical, they tend to focus of parries, blocks and stance with some sparring. It's a different workout, not intense like the other but your brain and technique get a good workout.

The boxing is also fun because they are all good lads with a lot of respect for each other.

Love it me. Prefer the fitness now though.
It’s a brutal fitness regime. Massive credit to boxers especially heavyweights that go 12 rounds, they must be blowing right out their arses

Anyone do this?

How many days are you boxing?

Initially, a lot of people find that they don't feel like they're getting fitter. What is happening is your body is likely getting a lot of neural benefits that is allowing you to push harder. These neural adaptations start quite fast. So essentially you'll be throwing shots with more power and using more of your body to do so. Eventually, you'll notice the peripheral adaptations and you'll have a 'wow' moment when doing some test of exercise with how fit you've gotten.

Depending how many days you're boxing and given that you say you're otherwise fit, add in a session of high threshold circuits in a similar work:rest pattern to boxing. Start with 4-5 stations of 20s with 10s rest, and 1 minute rest once you've gotten round the 4-5 stations. These will help build a solid boxing specific aerobic base.

You can also incorporate repeat power work, which I'd recommend starting with around 15s on, 45s off. The output each station will be higher, thus targeting a different energy system. For these I would go with high power movements such as sprints on a bike, treadmill, assault bike, med ball slams, battle ropes etc. These will improve your ability to repeatedly exert high bursts of power and become more resistant to the associated muscular soreness.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back