Boston Dynamics

Why is it dystopian sci-fi films are the prophecy people use to judge these technologies? Just because the robot’s
actions mimics human traits such as bipedalism, it could do nothing without the input of the human mind. It is this that makes the robot’s purpose good or sinister.

Why is it dystopian sci-fi films are the prophecy people use to judge these technologies? Just because the robot’s
actions mimics human traits such as bipedalism, it could do nothing without the input of the human mind. It is this that makes the robot’s purpose good or sinister.
Currently yes, but if artificial intelligence is involved, and humans let it decide for itself, it could decide that walking on all fours is the way to go, in which case it would do that, it depends on the instructions we give it, if we say the rule is walk upright, or protect human life even, then ok unless it's AI decides there is a reason not to follow the rules.

My concern is not around robots that look like humans, it's around what happens when AI can design better computers or robots which it then programs. Then humans are not involved in creating the laws of how they operate.

Currently yes, but if artificial intelligence is involved, and humans let it decide for itself, it could decide that walking on all fours is the way to go, in which case it would do that, it depends on the instructions we give it, if we say the rule is walk upright, or protect human life even, then ok unless it's AI decides there is a reason not to follow the rules.

My concern is not around robots that look like humans, it's around what happens when AI can design better computers or robots which it then programs. Then humans are not involved in creating the laws of how they operate.

There’s a massive leap to self replication, self awareness etc.
At the minute all it this is a load of complex computer programs and elaborate engineering, it always requires human interaction at some point. I just can’t envisage it spiralling out of control, instead I believe it will be sinister ways the human mind uses it for personal gain is the biggest threat

Or Twiki from Buck Rogers.
"Bidi-bidi-bidi, what a bummer Buck, bidi-bidi-bidi."

Buck Rogers also had the character Wilma Deering played by the beautiful Erin Gray in skintight Spandex.

The costume designer who did Twiki’s helmet must have pissed themselves laughing when they allowed it on TV.

Back