Borthwick coming home

i was one of those people, partly still am but needs must at the moment with the state of current affairs.

he'll have my support next season 100%
My view was good luck but no return if it doesn't work out as it had been for the others. But as with Coggers and even Bancroft (for different reasons) they are Durham players and I want them to do well.
Can you blame cricketers for going for extra money
Christ mate don't start that off again.

A return for my question to scotty when he is fielding on the boundary don robson stand in the t20. Getting a bowl tonight, Scotty? Usually replied with a shrug of the shoulders and a don’t know look on his face.

happy days

Absolutely brilliant news. Two Eppleton Juniors playing for Durham again. Can’t wait to watch them next season 🏏🏏
I played at Eppleton year ago!! Sadly not at cricket but the banana slide and the swings were great! :p
I've always been a fan and I understand local lads wanting to give the bright lights a go, so this is great news, local lads in the team and a top batsman setting an example for the academy batters could hardly be better.
I suspect one thing being at Surrey has done is brought him down to earth with him bowling leg spin, but let's see.

Last edited:
Just noticed in Marty's tweet he has been offered a 5 year deal. I can't ever remember a county cricketer getting 5 years. I think Harmy got a 4 year deal then sadly tossed it off. I can only think we can't pay him the screw he is on at Surrey but have given him the security of a 5 year deal.

Roseberry got a five year deal in 1995 - let's hope Borthwick fares better than he did.

A year before that John Morris was signed on a six year deal.

Roseberry got a five year deal in 1995 - let's hope Borthwick fares better than he did.

A year before that John Morris was signed on a six year deal.
Didn't realize Rosebery got that long. Forgot all about the contract Morris got. Jesus he annoyed me more than any other cricketer to play for Durham, what a wasted talent. I remember probably 1998 or 99 watching him getting fatter each home game.

Fantastic

listen he went for money I don’t have a problem with that

my issue was I don’t think cricket wise it’s helped him

He was our first choice spinner and was getting more n more overs

he’s gone backwards as a cricketer

delighted he’s back

will Stoneman follow?
He's been poor at Surrey these last two seasons.

Likewise. What did he do to Stoneman and Borthwick?

who cares he’s a quality batsman and one of our own

I was going to start a thread to discuss next season and what people feel we need.

i was thinking about this today tbh. we just cannot get enough runs but when you see ben raine batting at 10 in some ways our batting should be good enough. our depth batting is good, it's our top order (after lees) that just isn't good enough and yes adding brthwick back into the side would do wonders.

what i also think we need is a partner for rushy to open the bowling. notts are a great side no question but when you see the run rate they had today you can see we need someone who can tie down an end. coughlin & carse are good bowlers but they're a few years away from having a miserly economy rate, if they ever get to that stage.

so yes i'd like to see an opening bat (if that is bancroft then fantastic news) a solid number 3 (if that is borthwick that would be great) and an opening bowler.

that would make us a good side. to be a REALLY good side i'd say we need a batting allrounder ( or coughlin/carse batting to improve to the point they could bat at 6) and a spinner (sorry badger, i mean a better one)

which basically means we've travelled back in time and we're an ian blackwell away from being a great side!

i was thinking about this today tbh. we just cannot get enough runs but when you see ben raine batting at 10 in some ways our batting should be good enough. our depth batting is good, it's our top order (after lees) that just isn't good enough and yes adding brthwick back into the side would do wonders.

what i also think we need is a partner for rushy to open the bowling. notts are a great side no question but when you see the run rate they had today you can see we need someone who can tie down an end. coughlin & carse are good bowlers but they're a few years away from having a miserly economy rate, if they ever get to that stage.

so yes i'd like to see an opening bat (if that is bancroft then fantastic news) a solid number 3 (if that is borthwick that would be great) and an opening bowler.

that would make us a good side. to be a REALLY good side i'd say we need a batting allrounder ( or coughlin/carse batting to improve to the point they could bat at 6) and a spinner (sorry badger, i mean a better one)

which basically means we've travelled back in time and we're an ian blackwell away from being a great side!

I see Carse as the long term prospect for sharing the new ball with Rushy, he’s genuinely fast and could be the perfect foil for Rushy seaming it all over.

Unfortunately with bowlers who are genuinely fast, they do tend to go for runs more regularly than the bulk of military medium bowlers you normally get at county level.

I agree wholeheartedly on your point about a finger spinner though.

Is Rocky coming back too you reckon?
Slim possibility. Been horrifically out of nick for two year.

Only thing I can see against it is Burns is now away with England, and Harinath left last year - all of our younguns coming through are middle order players, so can't see us letting Rocky go on the basis that we need at least one opener at the club

Back