Boris writes to Tory MPs (and in the Mail on Sunday).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you can afford to be fined £10k I wish you the best of luck mate.
I see loads of people breaking the rules etc. I’m yet to here anyone get fined. The police do not even respond to a lot of burglaries these days. Lots of people never been able to put hands on 10K in their life. Would be intriguing to see if someone rich gets fined and challenges it with a top class legal team.

I see loads of people breaking the rules etc. I’m yet to here anyone get fined. The police do not even respond to a lot of burglaries these days. Lots of people never been able to put hands on 10K in their life. Would be intriguing to see if someone rich gets fined and challenges it with a top class legal team.

Well it’s important people follow the guidance so if that happens it would only be right that person is made an example of.

Well it’s important people follow the guidance so if that happens it would only be right that person is made an example of.
The guidance is crazy though. Even you can’t dispute that. What was the science behind closing gyms? Science behind household mixing over Xmas? Over the substantial meal? Over shutting hairdressers? Over grouse shooting being allowed? Over theatres being open and sporting stadiums not? Over the curfew?

Why won’t the government present the science to the commons?

Why is it unacceptable to meet with other households on the 22nd of December, but totally fine on the 23rd?

As I said I’m honestly not bothered, not much to live for over these next few years. Once the lockdown zealots get their way the Tories will destroy the country in a way Thatcher could only have dreamed of.

I feel you mate.

Loads of people are happy locking themselves in the house, having practically no social life, no experiences , no life, watching TV and eating shite food and turning themselves into a zombie whilst feeling like they are achieving something . Loads of people barely liked going out before covid so it's not too bad for them. But many of us aren't . Not for this long

I've followed the rules for 9 months and never missed a beat at work. It's f***ing shite. It's endless. I was enthusiastic in the beginning, proud to do my bit etc.. but right now, after we were all under the illusion it was just for a few months, we are looking at it lasting over a year before we even get a sniff off freedom, and between then and now they'll probably make more of a mess of it and extend it into next summer , and by that point, people start forgetting what it was like to go out and have mates and want something from life. I think there is going to be deep long lasting damage , especially to younger people

Last edited:
I feel you mate.

Loads of people are happy locking themselves in the house, having practically no social life, no experiences , no life, watching TV and eating shite food and turning themselves into a zombie whilst feeling like they are achieving something . Loads of people barely liked going out before covid so it's not too bad for them

I've followed the rules for 9 months and never missed a beat at work. It's f***ing shite. It's endless. I was enthusiastic in the beginning, proud to do my bit etc.. but right now, after we were all under the illusion it was just for a few months, we are looking at it lasting over a year before we even get a sniff off freedom, and between then and now they'll probably make more of a mess of it and extend it into next summer , and by that point, people start forgetting what it was like to go out and have mates and want something from life. I think there is going to be deep long lasting damage , especially to younger people
Some of the most vibrant and uplifting people I’ve known in my life are now shadows of them former selves and think they have depression (can’t get that confirmed as can’t see GP or health professionals). I’m like you, the longer it goes on, my opposition hardens. I can see what’s coming and the government will use Covid as an excuse to do anything they like. I do fear the fabric of life as we knew it will change, which could have all kinds of issues stemming from it - addictions, loneliness, spike in crime .....

Some of the most vibrant and uplifting people I’ve known in my life are now shadows of them former selves and think they have depression (can’t get that confirmed as can’t see GP or health professionals). I’m like you, the longer it goes on, my opposition hardens. I can see what’s coming and the government will use Covid as an excuse to do anything they like. I do fear the fabric of life as we knew it will change, which could have all kinds of issues stemming from it - addictions, loneliness, spike in crime .....
Still try and keep in touch with mates but no one has anything to talk about anymore and it’s really awkward. Everyone at work is getting depressed and fractious, it’s just really really shit

The guidance is crazy though. Even you can’t dispute that. What was the science behind closing gyms? Science behind household mixing over Xmas? Over the substantial meal? Over shutting hairdressers? Over grouse shooting being allowed? Over theatres being open and sporting stadiums not? Over the curfew?

Why won’t the government present the science to the commons?

Why is it unacceptable to meet with other households on the 22nd of December, but totally fine on the 23rd?

The application of the guidance is poor, but I don't think the guidance itself is all that crazy.

Obviously I am not a sitting member of SAGE so I can't explain to you with certainty what their justifications were.

However, I suspect that the science behind closing gyms was that with a higher incidence of new infections, and increasingly limited opportunities to exercise outside, that a tightening of restrictions would place a greater strain on gyms. Now, my gym have taken things very seriously, but not all have. It's likely that this proved too great a risk.

There is no science to the relaxing of restrictions over Christmas and I don't support it at all. It's a political decision because Boris doesn't want to be seen as the man who banned Christmas. Simple as that.

The substantial meal is to limit people a) getting hammered and b) going on pub crawls.

Hairdressers and beauty salons closed because of the close contact.

Grouse shooting is outside.

I don't know why theatres were able to open but sporting stadiums weren't. I suspect something to do with the numbers involved and crowd control.

I don't see why they need to present 'the science' to the commons. The commons in its current state is not going to offer much.

As mentioned, I don't back any relaxation of restrictions over Christmas.

Basically just turning people into robots. Into zombies. Go to work, produce, pay tax, don't talk to anyone, don't think, dont go anywhere that's not essential, don't visit family, don't have friends, shut up, put your mask on , go home and lock yourself in your little box until your next shift. It's for the greater good. Be a good citizen now. Spend your money, don't bother saving it. Get owt you want delivered to your door. But don't talk to the delivery driver

It's a capitalists dream

I've not felt that way the whole time, I'm totally pro mask pro vaccine etc.. but the longer it goes on, the more it's becoming normal.
Still try and keep in touch with mates but no one has anything to talk about anymore and it’s really awkward. Everyone at work is getting depressed and fractious, it’s just really really shit

Yep. It's grinding poeple down slowly. It'll develop into a condition where people are only comfortable locked in Thier own house watching Netflix and ordering everything they ever need online. It's so convenient

Last edited:
Basically just turning people into robots. Into zombies. Go to work, produce, pay tax, don't talk to anyone, don't think, dont go anywhere that's not essential, don't visit family, don't have friends, shut up, put your mask on , go home and lock yourself in your little box until your next shift. It's for the greater good. Be a good citizen now. Spend your money, don't bother saving it. Get owt you want delivered to your door. But don't talk to the delivery driver

It's a capitalists dream

I've not felt that way the whole time, I'm totally pro mask pro vaccine etc.. but the longer it goes on, the more it's becoming normal.

It isn't a capitalists dream. The economy thrives when consumers have confidence in the economy, confidence that their jobs are secure, and confident that they have disposable income. The economy thrives when consumers have this disposable income and are free to spend it more or less how they wish.

There is nothing about COVID's impact on the economy that is a capitalists dream. Honestly, nothing. It may benefit individual capitalists or certain sectors of the economy but overall, the impact is negative.

As for people sitting inside watching Netflix ordering things off Amazon...the high street was dying before Brexit and before COVID. Either of those factors may have accelerated the process but the decline in the high street and the rise of internet shopping whilst binge watching TV predates both.

Last edited:
The application of the guidance is poor, but I don't think the guidance itself is all that crazy.

Obviously I am not a sitting member of SAGE so I can't explain to you with certainty what their justifications were.

However, I suspect that the science behind closing gyms was that with a higher incidence of new infections, and increasingly limited opportunities to exercise outside, that a tightening of restrictions would place a greater strain on gyms. Now, my gym have taken things very seriously, but not all have. It's likely that this proved too great a risk.

There is no science to the relaxing of restrictions over Christmas and I don't support it at all. It's a political decision because Boris doesn't want to be seen as the man who banned Christmas. Simple as that.

The substantial meal is to limit people a) getting hammered and b) going on pub crawls.

Hairdressers and beauty salons closed because of the close contact.

Grouse shooting is outside.

I don't know why theatres were able to open but sporting stadiums weren't. I suspect something to do with the numbers involved and crowd control.

I don't see why they need to present 'the science' to the commons. The commons in its current state is not going to offer much.

As mentioned, I don't back any relaxation of restrictions over Christmas.
You can see why relaxing restrictions over Christmas though just makes all the gym and hairdresser issues etc. pretty redundant. This idea of ‘the virus taking a break for 5 days’ as I’ve seen people sarcastically say just legitimatises idea it can’t be all bad. It gives people excuse to rule break, just like Cummingsgate did. The whole thing is a compete and utter farce.
Yes, it’s quite tragic in all honesty.
It isn't a capitalists dream. The economy thrives when consumers have confidence in the economy, confidence that their jobs are secure, and confident that they have disposable income. The economy thrives when consumers have this disposable income and are free to spend it more or less how they wish.

There is nothing about COVID's impact on the economy that is a capitalists dream. Honestly, nothing. It may benefit individual capitalists or certain sectors of the economy but overall, the impact is negative.

As for people sitting inside watching Netflix ordering things off Amazon...the high street was dying before Brexit and before COVID. Either of those factors may have accelerated the process but the decline in the high street and the rise of internet shopping whilst binge watching TV predates both.
It definitely benefits certain powerful capitalists, you’ve cited 2 companies there. Has it really damaged big business significantly? We risk decimating the notion of small businesses. Will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
You can see why relaxing restrictions over Christmas though just makes all the gym and hairdresser issues etc. pretty redundant. This idea of ‘the virus taking a break for 5 days’ as I’ve seen people sarcastically say just legitimatises idea it can’t be all bad. It gives people excuse to rule break, just like Cummingsgate did. The whole thing is a compete and utter farce.

Yes, it’s quite tragic in all honesty.

I don't disagree. The virus doesn't take a break and Boris is taking a very stupid gamble with people's lives.

I guarantee you that older people who have successfully avoided COVID all year, will get sick seeing family, and sadly some of those older people will die. They'll miss the next five, ten maybe fifteen Christmases with their grandkids because they didn't wait another month or two until they could get a vaccine.

And that's on the government.

Well I'd disagree to a point. There's nothing stopping people spend money currently. There's going to be a fall out from this, certain industries are fucked. My cynical side thinks it's collateral damage in exerting total control over the population. I think certain powers are going to seize the opportunity.

He Tories hate any unity in the working classes . The ultimate divide and conquer. Instead of it being miners v police v teachers v immigrants v gay people v leavers v remainers etc etc etc.. they divide it to the point where it's literally every single person against every other person. It's a dream for them . The workers working away like good ants and having zero life outside .

Well I'd disagree to a point. There's nothing stopping people spend money currently. There's going to be a fall out from this, certain industries are fucked. My cynical side thinks it's collateral damage in exerting total control over the population. I think certain powers are going to seize the opportunity.

He Tories hate any unity in the working classes . The ultimate divide and conquer. Instead of it being miners v police v teachers v immigrants v gay people v leavers v remainers etc etc etc.. they divide it to the point where it's literally every single person against every other person. It's a dream for them . The workers working away like good ants and having zero life outside .
Just look at Sunak at the dispatch box, putting public v private workers against one another. That ant analogy is quite a good one, teachers for instance are ok to be in the breeding ground of a school yet are forbidden to have a social life. Look at the way people on here sneer at those who go to the pub, or the gym, who want to go the football, who have a holiday lined up ... the plebs are blaming each other and the Tories will love that.

The impact on people has definitely been more noticeable this lockdown. I have mates/colleagues who are struggling and it’s sad to see.

The impact on people has definitely been more noticeable this lockdown. I have mates/colleagues who are struggling and it’s sad to see.
Definitely, I think people now fear the economic downturn which will result from all of this too. I had my hopes pinned on the virus mutating or a reasonable threshold of immunity being met. Feels like a never ending tunnel into the abyss. Rallying calls regarding it being OK in a few weeks don’t wash anymore IMO.

The whole “ant/zombie/robot” thing isn’t good for businesses either mind if other places are similar to where I work. People losing motivation, morale, silly little disagreements distracting people in meetings and just generally throughout the day

The whole “ant/zombie/robot” thing isn’t good for businesses either mind if other places are similar to where I work. People losing motivation, morale, silly little disagreements distracting people in meetings and just generally throughout the day

Our team is at breaking point tbh mate. Everyone just seems down and there is a huge amount of infighting. I think it’s safe to say a couple have also been hitting the bottle quite hard

aye similar where i work, but what is the alternative?
Our team is at breaking point tbh mate. Everyone just seems down and there is a huge amount of infighting. I think it’s safe to say a couple have also been hitting the bottle quite hard

aye one of the managers on our site got punched in the face and hit with a hand saw off a lad who he had kept asking to put his mask on. lad got sacked

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back