Bords of prey

In my South Tyneside garden saw a sparrowhawk devouring a pigeon. Neighbour saw a large bird come down ( either sparrowhawk or kestrel ) and knock a rat off her bird table before devouring it. This morning three parakeets have finally discovered where they can now breakfast .. noisy things
That's a bump

I've started seeing more red kites out the back along with buzzards
Not uncommon now on Tyneside

Noticed a pair of buzzards over the Dene in Seaham for first time. Other birds went berserk fleeing. Also while out running a sparrowhawk shot across the road just missing a car and then missing a starling, was about 10 feet in front of me, great.

Was driving back from Leeds Monday and passed Harewood House Estate and could see around 40 possibly more Red Kites in the field all buzzing around. I know they used this estate as an area to reintroduce them back to the area many years ago and remember seeing a tv program on it and showed footage of them being feed a load of chicken wings, but this was years ago. I would have thought as now in high numbers and really established they would not feed them and leave to their own devices but still a site to see.
Looked just like this , although this is not Harewood

Last edited:
Was driving back from Leeds Monday and passed Harewood House Estate and could see around 40 possibly more Red Kites in the field all buzzing around. I know they used this estate as an area to reintroduce them back to the area many years ago and remember seeing a tv program on it and showed footage of them being feed a load of chicken wings, but this was years ago. I would have thought as now in high numbers and really established they would not feed them and leave to their own devices but still a site to see.
Looked just like this , although this is not Harewood

Lots of them in that area, see quite a lot in Wetherby also.

Watched a few different vultures eating a dead partially submerged “Thing” earlier while drinking coffee.
Logon or register to see this image
Booted Eagle got himself a pigeon in the streets of Perpignan, rare sight according to the article. Video down the page.

Back