Boiler Advice

cjibber

Central Defender
Mrs cjibber owns a share of a property which is rented out. We have been told that the boiler has stopped working, is 15 years old and needs replacing. We have been given quotes to remove the old boiler and replace with one of the following options.

Total price (including materials, labour)
Option 1 Baxi 800 (10yr warranty) £2395.00+vat
Option 2 Baxi 600 (7yr warranty) £2295.00+vat
Option 3 Baxi Main eco compact (5yr warranty) £2195.00+vat
Option 4 Worcester 1000 (5yr warranty) £2295+vat

Any advice on which of those is best?

This could be absolute bollocks as i`m not a plumber but a couple of people I know who are reckon Baxis are better than the Worcesters. Something to do with the parts within them being more sturdy / durable. 10 year warranty, pay for the service every year and hopefully have nowt else to pull out for regarding it, has to be the way to go doesnt it ?

This could be absolute bollocks as i`m not a plumber but a couple of people I know who are reckon Baxis are better than the Worcesters. Something to do with the parts within them being more sturdy / durable. 10 year warranty, pay for the service every year and hopefully have nowt else to pull out for regarding it, has to be the way to go doesnt it ?
I agree that the 10 year warranty makes sense but did not know if there was any big difference between the boilers

Mrs cjibber owns a share of a property which is rented out. We have been told that the boiler has stopped working, is 15 years old and needs replacing. We have been given quotes to remove the old boiler and replace with one of the following options.

Pics of your boiler would help!

And the plumbers might benefit from a photo of the heating device.

Pics of your boiler would help!

And the plumbers might benefit from a photo of the heating device.
Does it matter what the old boiler looks like? We have accepted that it needs replacing but do not know which is the best of those options. The property is also 140 miles from where we live so not that easy to get a photo!

Last edited:
Personally would go for the maximum warranty. With it being a rented property doubt the tenants will be looking after it as well as a homeowner would. Depends on the number of tenants.

More wear and tear.

OK. I have got there now!!
You drove 140 miles very quickly!

Do you drive an EV or an ICE?
Personally would go for the maximum warranty. With it being a rented property doubt the tenants will be looking after it as well as a homeowner would. Depends on the number of tenants.

More wear and tear.
Don’t we need to know how many radiators/rooms the boiler has to heat? I assume the Baxi 800/600/eco are for different requirements.

I also thought that baxi offered 12 year warranties. Edit I am wrong.

Last edited:
We've got a Veissmann boiler that is nearing the point where it needs replacing.

The lad who fitted it for us doesn't want to put in another Veissmann as he reckons our central heating system - pipes, radiators etc - is that old that even with regular servicing, power flushes and a Magna Clean it will still generate enough crap to cause issues (apparently Veissmann boilers need a relatively modern, clean system to operate properly). Replacing everything is not an option at this point in time.

He has recommended replacing it with a Baxi as, according to him, they are much more tolerant of crap in the system and will soldier on regardless, as long as they are properly serviced on a regular basis.

Personally I have used a heating engineer, Colin Guard and his son 07947483485, they live in shields. They will assess the property and its hot water and heating requirements. He will them recommend what he thinks you need. They are qualified for most brands and will mix and match them, to get best combo.

Also dare I mention heat pumps?

Personally I have used a heating engineer, Colin Guard and his son 07947483485, they live in shields. They will assess the property and its hot water and heating requirements. He will them recommend what he thinks you need. They are qualified for most brands and will mix and match them, to get best combo.

Also dare I mention heat pumps?
Thanks... but the property is in Nottingham

More wear and tear.
How do you go about looking after a boiler? I can’t work out how it’d be used any differently if the people living in the house own it or rent it. The landlord has to get it serviced annually which is surely all a homeowner would do?

Installed a baxi platinum a few years back with a ten year guarantee
I’ve had it fixed twice now same issue the valve that switched between hot water and the heating, but it’s been ok since.
Service costs approx £70 each year to maintain the guarantee.
I also always add inhibitor to the water as another way to hopefully extend its life.
Get very little sludge in the magna clean.

Back