Bob Willis Trophy to stay

Would get a bit boring always playing against the same couple of northern counties and not really challenging yourself against the rest very frequently. Articles behind a pay wall but I’m assuming the groups would be as they are now, or very similar. If they mixed it up each year it’d be better imo.

TBH I haven't looked into the format so apart from knowing there are regional groups I don't know how it works in the latter stages. What happens to teams that don't win their groups do they simply stop playing cricket at that point or is there some lesser achievement to go for?

I think I'd be in favour if it's not just a cover for the usual mantra of 'playing less cricket is better'.

TBH I haven't looked into the format so apart from knowing there are regional groups I don't know how it works in the latter stages. What happens to teams that don't win their groups do they simply stop playing cricket at that point or is there some lesser achievement to go for?

I think I'd be in favour if it's not just a cover for the usual mantra of 'playing less cricket is better'.

Think it’s a playoff style tournament to determine the overall winner. Not 100% sure how they select who participates from three groups though.

Here's the relevant detail.
There are a number of different options, but the most likely is that the Bob Willis Trophy stays for 2021, with three regional groups who play ten group matches, followed by knockout matches, culminating in a five-day final played at Lord’s.
With uncertainty about whether sport can return to normal next year and a reduction in funding,
Most counties believe it would be sensible to minimise costs and stay with regional groups next year, but move to groups based on seeding after that. The T20 Blast is played in regional groups and there is a feeling among most counties that a regional championship would mean coming up against the same teams rather than being tested against other opponents, something they would like to avoid.

Last edited:
Would get a bit boring always playing against the same couple of northern counties and not really challenging yourself against the rest very frequently. Articles behind a pay wall but I’m assuming the groups would be as they are now, or very similar. If they mixed it up each year it’d be better imo.

In the NFL they have rotating divisional play. So you play your own division home and away every season, then one other division once only. So a 16 game season.

Might work.

Back