Boarded up Sunderland or is it Booming?

This just popped up on my feed - anyone off here?

I think we can all agree that Sunderland city centre is a shadow of its former days - but isn’t that the case of many city centres now?
it is .

Retail is fucked all over, we are no different and it’s never been a great place to shop.
However sunderland generally is in pretty good shape, keel square area ,sea front are f***ing class

Pretty much the same as most places but made worse by piecemeal demolition of shops in the hope of developments which never materialised. "If" the film studio ever gets built it will be interesting to see the effect on the city centre.

This just popped up on my feed - anyone off here?

I think we can all agree that Sunderland city centre is a shadow of its former days - but isn’t that the case of many city centres now?
I've seen that video before and a couple of others of his. He started walking from sheepfolds to Hendon to show the cheapest house in Sunderland.
Videos like his will be interesting for future generations to watch. Like I like to watch old footage and look at pictures from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Durham and Cardiff have seen major declines.

Proper student cities where you would see students all over the place nowadays it's shut down places and homeless people

Same as most places you’ll find places like that. Can’t shop online all the time and lament the death of the high street.

Pubs, restaurants and coffee shops are doing well

I’ve said this before and I can’t see it changing. In other countries, high streets open until late every night and are generally busy. People go out, do a bit of shopping, have food and drinks. But over here, the shops close just as everyone finishes work.
It would take a huge step change for all shops to stay open later for this to work.

I’ve said this before and I can’t see it changing. In other countries, high streets open until late every night and are generally busy. People go out, do a bit of shopping, have food and drinks. But over here, the shops close just as everyone finishes work.
It would take a huge step change for all shops to stay open later for this to work.
Would help if people worked in town to start with

Hospitality sector will never be the same again.

Security sector will go next from April. £12 an hour rate was introduced back in 1990 and it's still £12 in 2024, from April min wage is £11.50 - So you either deal with physical altercations for 50p more than you can stack shelves in Asda for.

Back