Blacking out windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchy

Winger
I have a shoot tomorrow which I had been told was in a room with no windows but have been to see it today and it has 4 HUGE windows! What is the best material to cover this? Will have to be from B&Q as it is late now. Also as cheap as possible.

I have a shoot tomorrow which I had been told was in a room with no windows but have been to see it today and it has 4 HUGE windows! What is the best material to cover this? Will have to be from B&Q as it is late now. Also as cheap as possible.

velvet is the best if you're shooting against the windows, but duct-tape and plastic refuse sacks would probably work well if you're shooting adjacent to them. What you shooting like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloody hell that's a bad bit of duff info they gave you!

Not sure what you can get from B&Q that won't cost an arm and a leg tbh... especially as it'll need to be easily transported.

There's curtains and blinds etc but obviously that'll cost more than it's worth.

Just get some black paint and paint the windows... that'll teach them to not give you the right info! :lol:

Only other thing I can think of is to go to Ikea and just buy some black material but not sure it'd be thick enough?

Two windows will be behind the camera and two to the side but far away from where I am shooting as the room is big.

I think I will have to go with the bin bags option! I'll take a few snaps tomorrow and show you the real proffesional level I work at :lol:

Cheers for the help

cheapest and quickest way would be rubble sacks i'd imagine.

this. Ordinary bin bags are no good, they let light in. Rubble sacks are what I use when I turn the kitchen into a dark room.

I'd use damp proof membrane. Thick as fuck and far easier to cut to size than rubble bags

Not a chance, it is happening tomorrow morning
How does a shoot lark work then. You get told you are doing a shoot in a room with no windows, you turn up and there are windows; surely it is up to them to provide you with a room with no windows(or blacked out ones). If they are at fault surely they should rectify the fault.:?::confused:

How does a shoot lark work then. You get told you are doing a shoot in a room with no windows, you turn up and there are windows; surely it is up to them to provide you with a room with no windows(or blacked out ones). If they are at fault surely they should rectify the fault.:?::confused:

On a commission you get paid to shoot what you're told, where you're told. Kinda the opposite to why we get into photography :-D

It's upto the photographer to make it work; and the best do exactly that. Jane Bown is a good example, 5 minutes with a celeb, in a badly lit room, no flash and grey skies outside, yet always got the job done without filling a roll of film (and beautifully aswell).

Not sure if he's getting paid like, but hey-ho..

A big thing for a photographer/videographer such as blacked out windows isn't a big thing to the client as they don't understand the importance. So it is easily forgotten about. As sean said it's your job to do it no matter what. My job is to do the video so something like this shouldn't stop me and if it did I would have no work again :)

On a commission you get paid to shoot what you're told, where you're told. Kinda the opposite to why we get into photography :-D

It's upto the photographer to make it work; and the best do exactly that. Jane Bown is a good example, 5 minutes with a celeb, in a badly lit room, no flash and grey skies outside, yet always got the job done without filling a roll of film (and beautifully aswell).

Not sure if he's getting paid like, but hey-ho..

Nope! Big client and through big agency so foot in the door as they say

Last edited:
Can you get these from b&q and more importantly are they going to cost me a fortune?

About 40 quid on ebay but they have 1001 uses

For instance if you invite anyone round to murder them you can quickly cover the entire room in it to avoid microscopic blood specks getting anywhere. :)

I just made a roof for our coal bunker with spare dpm. Under laminate flooring with that cheap foam to save money on the expensive underlay you're supposed to get

Nope! Big client and through big agency so foot in the door as they say

Being harsh I'd say you'll have a big note next to your name saying 'works for nowt'

Absolutely disgraceful that 'big client big agency' should not pay people for good work. Depressing sign of the times

Being harsh I'd say you'll have a big note next to your name saying 'works for nowt'

Absolutely disgraceful that 'big client big agency' should not pay people for good work. Depressing sign of the times

My thoughts too.

Ultimately its for a charitable foundation, but I'd put money on the fact that said "big agency" and "big client" aren't working for nowt.

About 40 quid on ebay but they have 1001 uses

For instance if you invite anyone round to murder them you can quickly cover the entire room in it to avoid microscopic blood specks getting anywhere. :)

I just made a roof for our coal bunker with spare dpm. Under laminate flooring with that cheap foam to save money on the expensive underlay you're supposed to get

As roger says it's for a charity. I agree fully, that is why you have to say no to certain work. I have done this for free but have work now lined up for 3 more jobs with the agency all paid. I guess it is a sort of test run for the standard of my work, while getting me enough experience.

Got to start somewhere and unfortunatley with that many people offering the same service got to do the free jobs to get anywhere. Same as working as a runner for nothing on TV/film work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back