Bikers of the smb

I'm looking at these and the reviews all state that the boxer configuration really helps with balance. It probably works against you if you do somehow put it down on its side and need to get it back up. I remember Ewen mcGregor struggling nearly 20 years ago and they're a lot heavier now.
I dropped an ancient CB750 FB a million years ago and there was petrol gushing out the tank as I lay on my back next to it. Two lads walked past and did not bat an eyelid.

No "do you want a hand mate?" Nowt - gits!

Nearly killed me picking it up - fortunately I have not had to repeat the feat.

Thats exactly what happened to me, came back from yarm and next day wouldn't start, jumped it, quick nip to morpeth/rothbury,wouldn't start the next day, im booked and off to arran soon so its in the garage getting looked at, he's had it since Friday !!
It’s been on charge last night and turned over straight away. Got it to my local garage and he agrees it’s most likely the stator. Fingers crossed anyway. Hope you get sorted.

I dropped an ancient CB750 FB a million years ago and there was petrol gushing out the tank as I lay on my back next to it. Two lads walked past and did not bat an eyelid.

No "do you want a hand mate?" Nowt - gits!

Nearly killed me picking it up - fortunately I have not had to repeat the feat.
I dropped my suzuki gs 1000 at santa pod, people just stood around laughing 😂🤣 years ago that mind, you just jogged my memory

Having a shite bike year so far and doesn’t look to be getting any better. Bikes been in storage, first time I went to check on it the battery was dead. It’s an old one so put a new battery on and it went no bother. I’m off to Scotland in 2 weeks so popped over to drop the oil and filter today, guess what? Battery totally dead again. I’m hoping it’s just the stator and can get fixed quick otherwise I’ll not be chancing going to the highlands on an iffy bike. I’ll be gutted.
should be easy enough to check. just a load test on the battery to check that's allright and a multimeter to check the output of stator and regulator rectifier.
i would be hoping for a component failure rather than a bad earth somewhere draining the battery.

should be easy enough to check. just a load test on the battery to check that's allright and a multimeter to check the output of stator and regulator rectifier.
i would be hoping for a component failure rather than a bad earth somewhere draining the battery.
a bad earth sounds like fun!!

Hope you get it sorted.

You would think so wouldn't you? Mines been in since friday gone ans still cant work it out,
Fully charged battery, start up ,turn off, battery down to 11v , not enough power to start, the battery is only a year old 🤔

You would think so wouldn't you? Mines been in since friday gone ans still cant work it out,
Fully charged battery, start up ,turn off, battery down to 11v , not enough power to start, the battery is only a year old 🤔
i've had a brand new battery that was duff mind.
i'd do a load test to see the what the voltage drop on starting is first, just to rule it out first before looking elsewhere.
I'm no expert though.

We
i've had a brand new battery that was duff mind.
i'd do a load test to see the what the voltage drop on starting is first, just to rule it out first before looking elsewhere.
I'm no expert though.
He just phoned and said its ready, cant find anything wrong, everything is testing with the correct voltage, said he started it 8 times over the day yesterday and fired 1st time every time, so will just see what happens

Having a shite bike year so far and doesn’t look to be getting any better. Bikes been in storage, first time I went to check on it the battery was dead. It’s an old one so put a new battery on and it went no bother. I’m off to Scotland in 2 weeks so popped over to drop the oil and filter today, guess what? Battery totally dead again. I’m hoping it’s just the stator and can get fixed quick otherwise I’ll not be chancing going to the highlands on an iffy bike. I’ll be gutted.
What year and make? Ive had to upgrade the r/r on my vfr as the electricals are notorious on that age bike. Surprise surprise the the connectios were burnt out
What year and make? Ive had to upgrade the r/r on my vfr as the electricals are notorious on that age bike. Surprise surprise the the connectios were burnt out

Just got mine back, runs great atm, see what happens tomorrow, got the oil and filters changed while it was in so thats sorted for arran at least, on another note does anybody use trickle chargers at all ? My mec said they are shite and do no good for the battery, i have a Oxford one i use

Last edited:
Most people replace that connector by soldering the wires together. I know I did when I replaced the stator and R/R on my VFR.

Most people replace that connector by soldering the wires together. I know I did when I replaced the stator and R/R on my VFR.
I bought a kit which includes the upgraded rr and like you said you bypassed the wiring loom and went straight to the battery and to the stator. Ive avoided needing a new stator so far
Just got mine back, runs great atm, see what happens tomorrow, got the oil and filters changed while it was in so thats sorted for arran at least, on another note does anybody use trickle chargers at all ? My mec said they are shite and do no good for the battery, i have a Oxford one i use
I don't but I ride my bike at least a few times per week. In the winter i leaver it running for while and if dont i hook a battery charger up.

Last edited:
I bought a kit which includes the upgraded rr and like you said you bypassed the wiring loom and went straight to the battery and to the stator. Ive avoided needing a new stator so far

you’ve done well then. Mine was black. It’s not a bad job to change, other than feeding the wiring through the V of the engine. I have a voltmeter on my dash now, just as an early warning system do I don’t get stranded.

Common practise now to change the old Reg/Rec on VFR's with a Mosfet rectifier. Piece of piss to do. My VFR's reg/rec used to get very hot very quick so I replaced it with a more modern one but that also got hot, not as hot as the original but hot so I went for the Mosfet one. This one didn't even get warm and kept the battery topped up topper.

We

He just phoned and said its ready, cant find anything wrong, everything is testing with the correct voltage, said he started it 8 times over the day yesterday and fired 1st time every time, so will just see what happens
Bikes never fail to start in well equipped garages. They fail to start on a quiet road at 9 pm ........ in the rain!

Back