Big Match Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great watching the old football. Crunching tackles on ploughed fields and the fouled player just jumps up, no rolling screaming for ten yards, no booking.
30mph header from Dave Watson for Man City v Ipswich. A headed goal for West Ham from Pop Robson. Weren't bored shitless watching the games in those days.

It's great isn't it. Much better viewing imo.

Great watching the old football. Crunching tackles on ploughed fields and the fouled player just jumps up, no rolling screaming for ten yards, no booking.
30mph header from Dave Watson for Man City v Ipswich. A headed goal for West Ham from Pop Robson. Weren't bored shitless watching the games in those days.
Watched Southampton v Man Utd cup game, 100s of locked out fans, some climbing trees and fans on the edge of the pitch.
Great game as was Jack Charlton's Boro demolition of Arsenal.
FA cup quarter final and half empty seats and terraces, nowt changes at Boro.

Yesterday we were on beating West Ham 6-0 in that unlucky relegation battle. Was at that game as a kid. Jimmy Adamson was ahead of his time with the "pressing" game. We basically harried West Ham into mistakes which led to most of our goals. A young Gary Rowell was like a man possessed such was his energy and running.

Yesterday we were on beating West Ham 6-0 in that unlucky relegation battle. Was at that game as a kid. Jimmy Adamson was ahead of his time with the "pressing" game. We basically harried West Ham into mistakes which led to most of our goals. A young Gary Rowell was like a man possessed such was his energy and running.
Aye great to watch. Beat West Brom similar score - I think.

Aye great to watch. Beat West Brom similar score - I think.
In four successive home games we Beat Bristol City 1-0 to end a long long run without a win ,Middlesbro' 4-0, West Brom 6-1 then West Ham 6-0. Adamson was asked why he was playing kids (Rowell, Elliott, Arnott, Brown etc.) and not the experienced "stars". Adamson said the kids were the stars.

Back in the day, shoot had a range of games on including Darlington, where the camera position was near a corner flag iirc

then match of the day was not always a division one game(prem of its day) but sometimes a promotion or relegation battle from division 2

always waited for the footy echo that had a little section of games to be shown.

Back in the day, shoot had a range of games on including Darlington, where the camera position was near a corner flag iirc

then match of the day was not always a division one game(prem of its day) but sometimes a promotion or relegation battle from division 2

always waited for the footy echo that had a little section of games to be shown.

Had one commentary too not half a dozen talking shite

Enjoyed watching that, only caught it by chance

It was bloody awful :lol: I really don't get the pining for football from the 70's and 80's at all.

I can remember Kenneth Wolstenholme actually laughing on the commentary against West Ham and asking something like "Well. Have you ever seen defending like that? What on earth were they thinking?"

Carlisle thumping Everton yesterday was a canny watch, and the Brunton Park pitch was in pretty decent condition. Bottom club beating the league leaders and doing title rivals Derby and Stoke a huge favour.

Ray Yeoman - Middlesbrough player and youth team coach with us - once told me about playing against a lad who was going round and kicking everybody. Ray was going in to tackle him and he shouted at Ray - "Don't please don't!" Ray just didn't hear him - he said. The lad's repurtation was ruined in the game.

The evil ones were those that did it on the blind side of the ref or was very quiet about it: Peter Stroey (Arsenal), Johnny Giles (Leeds Ud), Ron Harris (Chelsea), Eric McMordie (MIddlesbrough) were the dirtiest I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back