Best played against

Show my 1980s vintage.

Bowler faced - Stuart Wilkinson. Looked like he wanted a fight when he ran in, then whistled it past your chest/chin.

Bowler played with - Ray Soppitt. Absolute metronome away swing with the odd off cutter. Better than many of the DSL pros at the time.

Batter played with - Steve Greensword. Saw him carry many an average team.

Best cricketer played with - Greensword again.

Wilkinson for me as well. It was the first time I realised I wasn't quite as good as I thought I was. I could usually keep out the decent bowlers, but I was astonished at how quick he was and how much the ball swung.

I loved playing against cally when he was pro at Murton. As a young lad in the 1s facing him and Joe Dodd was a proper challenge that I really enjoyed
Great. But don’t tell Joe Dodd this ……
. :lol:
As an ex Murtonian player would definitely agree with Chapman, Ball and Stephenson. I cannot think of many better local players, even taking into account the Senior league and County league.
Fully agree.

Last edited:
Best bowler faced - Mark Wood
Best batter bowled too - Shikhar Dhawan
Best Batter played with - Shahid Anwar (pro), Simon Davies (Amateur)
Best bowler played with - Simon Jones or Harmy
Best cricket player with or against - all round cricketer would be Sachin Rana.

Bit of fun for january

best bowler faced
best batter bowled to
best batter played with
best bowler played with
best cricketer playes with or against

overseas pros don’t count

ability does not count just best you faced at a time could be when you were a junior

mine would be
best bowler faced - pop welch could not get him off the square when playing against Eppleton 2nds as a kid
best batter bowled to - Phil Nicholson (got birtwistle out on 1st team premier league debut 2nd ball, Nicholson took a likening to my donkey drops and smashed me for 32 of next 10 balls- back to seconds)
best batter played with - Michael old unbelievable then stopped player at about 20
best bowler played with - Glenn Robinson (need say no more)
best cricketer played with - Ian Hauxwell great player and unbelievable will to win
Glenn Robinson cleaned bowled me in a cup final at Sacriston in the u13s. Great talent such a shame he died so young

Wilkinson for me as well. It was the first time I realised I wasn't quite as good as I thought I was. I could usually keep out the decent bowlers, but I was astonished at how quick he was and how much the ball swung.
Yup, just about sums up my experience of playing him. It was the pace and bounce I remember rather than the swing. He bowled a bastard of a length which was too high to get over and too low to get under. I don't know whether it made me realise I wasn't as good as I thought I was, but I knew he was better at bowling than I was a batting!

Played a 10 over game at Murton with Keith Chapman my dad was supposed to play got injured after bowling a ball I got subbed in was only a young lad ended up with 2 wickets both caught by him on the fence one was a blinder.

He bowled great for us and we snook over line I never played much past 17 other than a few games for my local pub so that was the highest quality game I played in.

best bowler faced - Ed Giddins
best batter bowled to - David Sales
best batter played with - Andy Flower
best bowler played with - Alex Edwards
best cricketer played with or against - Matt Prior was our team WK

Back