Full Back
Bit of fun for january

best bowler faced
best batter bowled to
best batter played with
best bowler played with
best cricketer playes with or against

overseas pros don’t count

ability does not count just best you faced at a time could be when you were a junior

mine would be
best bowler faced - pop welch could not get him off the square when playing against Eppleton 2nds as a kid
best batter bowled to - Phil Nicholson (got birtwistle out on 1st team premier league debut 2nd ball, Nicholson took a likening to my donkey drops and smashed me for 32 of next 10 balls- back to seconds)
best batter played with - Michael old unbelievable then stopped player at about 20
best bowler played with - Glenn Robinson (need say no more)
best cricketer played with - Ian Hauxwell great player and unbelievable will to win

Bit of fun for january

best bowler faced
best batter bowled to
best batter played with
best bowler played with

ability does not count just best you faced at a time could be when you were a junior

mine would be
best bowler faced - pop welch could not get him off the square when playing against Eppleton 2nds as a kid
best batter bowled to - Phil Nicholson (got birtwistle out on 1st team premier league debut 2nd ball, Nicholson took a likening to my donkey drops and smashed me for 32 of next 10 balls- back to seconds)
best batter played with - Michael old unbelievable then stopped player at about 20
best cricketer played with - Ian Hauxwell great player and unbelievable will to win
Get the Old brothers mixed but one played for Whitburn,Shields then Sunderland.Went to the latter I suspect because Applegarth was his boss. Very good cricketer,packed in early but older than 20. Was coaching at Ashbrooke.

best bowler faced
I wasn't a great bat, so anyone half decent (or even on the stumps) had my number.
Dave Parnaby from Durham City was probably better known for his football, but bloody accurate.
At the quicker end, Keith Chapman from Murton. It was mercifully quick.

best batter bowled to
Tim Hughes at Durham City always seemed to have loads of time. Never had any joy against him

best batter played with
Jimmy Daley was a lovely bat
Paul Anderson could be a very destructive hitter if he got going
A mate of Steve Small (our pro) came from Australia. Forget his name. He registered and Steve said he'd be OK in the second XI, In his first game he scored a chanceless 140 odds not out, and never played for the seconds again

best bowler played with
Brian Watson at Eppleton. In a benefit match at Eppleton for the pro Steve Small, which included some of the Aussie test team that was touring at the time, Brian bowled Graham Yallop, Dirk Welham and Alan Border all in the space of a few overs
Robert Gray, Keith Trotter and Nick Harpin were all quality bowlers

best cricketer player with or against
Probably Jimmy Daley
Amazing even from his early teens
Add Harry Grieveson to my list of best batsmen played with

Last edited:
Get the Old brothers mixed but one played for Whitburn,Shields then Sunderland.Went to the latter I suspect because Applegarth was his boss. Very good cricketer,packed in early but older than 20. Was coaching at Ashbrooke.
That was michaels older brother Simon
best bowler faced
I wasn't a great bat, so anyone half decent (or even on the stumps) had my number.
Dave Parnaby from Durham City was probably better known for his football, but bloody accurate.

best batter bowled to
Tim Hughes at Durham City always seemed to have loads of time. Never had any joy against him

best batter played with
A mate of Steve Small (our pro) came from Australia. Forget his name. He registered and Steve said he'd be OK in the second XI, In his first game he scored a chanceless 140 odds not out, and never played for the seconds again

best bowler played with
Brian Watson at Eppleton. In a benefit match at Eppleton for the pro Steve Small, which included some of the Aussie test team that was touring at the time, Brian bowled Graham Yallop, Dirk Welham and Alan Border all in the space of a few overs

Probably Jimmy Daley
Played with Paul at Houghton he could hit it a long way
jimmy was superb
i think I said on here before one game against Eppleton u18 we got jimmy out 1st ball just left us
Shaun birbeck
lee welch
steven meek
simon Macbeth
salkeld
andrew Mac Donald
david Harvey
😀😀

Last edited:
That was michaels older brother Simon

Played with Paul at Houghton he could hit it a long way
jimmy was superb
i think I said on here before one game against Eppleton u18 we got jimmy out 1st ball just left us
Shaun birbeck
lee welch
steven meek
simon Macbeth
salkeld
andrew Mac Donald
david Harvey
😀😀
That junior team was really strong !

Bit of fun for january

best bowler faced
best batter bowled to
best batter played with
best bowler played with

mine would be
Bowler faced - Heath Davis, bowled absolute rockets
Bowler played with - Graeme Bridge
Batter bowled to - Scott Styris
Batter played with - Paul Collingwood
Cricketer played with - Paul Burn

best bowler faced

best batter bowled to

best batter played with

best bowler played with

Probably Jimmy Daley
The Aussie was Ken Ferris. The year was 1981. Durham Senior league allowed an overseas pro and an overseas amateur.

Last edited:
The Aussie was Ken Ferris. The year was 1981. Durham Senior league allowed an overseas pro and an overseas amateur.
Yeh, the 2nd overseas was in response to Horden who had acquired 2 very good unpaid Indian spinners who by coincidence happened to be having a 6month holiday in that particular resort.Spot Matthew's take on BOGOF.

Last edited:
As it's 'amateurs' only:

best bowler faced - Keith Chapman, closely followed by Keith Trotter;
best batter bowled to - Never bowled much in anger because I was spectacularly sh!te in match conditions but, as an opposition player, probably Bobby Steele;
best batter played with - Neil Ayre;
best bowler played with - Glenn Froud;
best cricketer played with or against - Neil Bainbridge (with), and Paul Burn (with/against).

Bowler faced- Andrew Robson, played in a cup final for the coast league against the senior league at Whitburn and Horden played there the day before on the same wicket, he never missed a patch the size of a shoe box.
Batter bowled to- jimmy daley, was lucky enough to play a year with jimmy and managed to get him a couple of times but he was pure class.
Batter played with- Mark Stoneman, not the prettiest but grounded out runs constantly when we were kids playing for the county set up.
Bowler played with- Graham Onions, didn’t give much away and moved the balled constantly off the seam in an area where batters hated it.
Player played with or against- Scott Borthwick, his last year before going to the academy he was absolute class at Philli, punished the quickest of bowlers who bowled short and bowled some brilliant stuff to go with being an absolute gun fielder

Batter played with- Mark Stoneman, not the prettiest but grounded out runs constantly when we were kids playing for the county set up.
my best mate played with Young Rocky at Burnopfield when he was about 13, opened for the U18's, Carried his bat for 19* in one 20 over game

Bowler faced - Keith Trotter. It was basically like that famous Mike Holding to Geoff Boycott over….

Bowler played with - Keith Chapman. Easy to play alongside him :lol:

Batter bowled to - Alan Worthy.

Batter played with - Stephen Ball - Great left-hander who scored quickly.

Cricketer played with - Calvin Stephenson.

Show my 1980s vintage.

Bowler faced - Stuart Wilkinson. Looked like he wanted a fight when he ran in, then whistled it past your chest/chin.

Bowler played with - Ray Soppitt. Absolute metronome away swing with the odd off cutter. Better than many of the DSL pros at the time.

Batter played with - Steve Greensword. Saw him carry many an average team.

Best cricketer played with - Greensword again.

Bowler faced - Keith Trotter. It was basically like that famous Mike Holding to Geoff Boycott over….

As an ex Murtonian player would definitely agree with Chapman, Ball and Stephenson. I cannot think of many better local players, even taking into account the Senior league and County league.

I still play in the same team as Cally, he’s held together by gaffer tape and string these days, still oozes quality off 6 paces, or 2 if he fancies a bit of spin 😁. He sets up the T20 generation batters like a kipper, very funny to watch the inevitable unfold. Still biffs it a long way too, great character to have in our dressing room.

Last edited:

Back