Best/most memorable innings you have seen in person

If you include all cricket then watching Otis take all ten wickets v Hampshire is at the top of my cricket watching career.

One of my biggest regrets. I saw him take the first eight and then it started raining. I live in CLS so me and my late father in law headed back home as it looked set in. I later flicked the text on and it said they had restarted but by the time we got back in the ground he'd taken 9 and 10.😱:D

One of my biggest regrets. I saw him take the first eight and then it started raining. I live in CLS so me and my late father in law headed back home as it looked set in. I later flicked the text on and it said they had restarted but by the time we got back in the ground he'd taken 9 and 10.😱:D
Yeah I think there were a couple of rain breaks that day which helped to give Gibson a rest in between his record breaking feat. Only Rushy taking 16 (I think) wickets on the last day of the season a few years back comes close to it in games I've seen.

Enjoyed Stokes at CT last year. Came in when Sibley was 90-odd and was well on the way to beating him to a ton before he was out for 70-odd! Completely took the game away from them having any chance of winning it in just over an hour.

Ian Botham in 84 at Taunton. 84 off Gladstone Small and Bob Willis. Lovely day whilst on holiday. All the stars playing that day.

Loved Ben Stokes' knock in our final winning year - cant remember whether it was QF or SF?

In person - Alex Hales in the Royal London final v us a few years ago.

Tricky pitch, we'd got a decent score, they were losing wickets constantly - and he scored a breathtaking nearly double ton not out, played some outrageous shots whilst keeping his head when he needed to too. Single handedly won the game for Notts - best white ball innings I've ever seen.

Stokes at Headingley
Stokes in World Cup final
Cook throughout the 2010/11 Ashes

they are stand outs

Actually Bell at Durham in 2013 Ashes is special, in my home town too.

Went to nearly all the games last year, cost me a fortune but memories to last a life time.
Butcher 173* last day at Headingly 01
Vaughan 101* at Lords (his second of the match at Lords)
Lee 43* last day at Edgbaston 05
Cook’s 10000th run at CLS

Aye that Lee one is a good shout, showed some heart that day him

Last edited:
That knock by Stokes in the one day cup in the semi final was just ridiculous. Would have to say that was memorable as it took us to Lords which was an incredible day/weekend. I also remember Jennings ended a day Vs Yorkshire on 180 odd in 2016 and that for me was the best red ball innings I had seen by a Durham player and went on to make 221, superb that was. 416 balls he faced and ended not out. We managed a draw from that game having been 150 behind after the first innings

In person - Alex Hales in the Royal London final v us a few years ago.

Tricky pitch, we'd got a decent score, they were losing wickets constantly - and he scored a breathtaking nearly double ton not out, played some outrageous shots whilst keeping his head when he needed to too. Single handedly won the game for Notts - best white ball innings I've ever seen.

Poor Rocky hit a very good 144 or so and must have been pleased with himself until Hales just played beautifully.

I've seen some great knocks in local league cricket where you have had local players playing on dodgy wickets with no helmets against international / fringe international bowlers. There's a member or two on here that could put themselves in that category. Former player? I remember watching Tommy Nichols for Burnopfield smashing Wes Thomas to all parts hooking him of his nose, winding him up. He kept bowling faster and faster and Tommy kept hitting him harder and harder. Great stuff.

Gasvasker's double century at the Oval in the late 70's. England set India about 440 to win and India finished on about 430 for 8. It was brilliant to watch,, but not at the time when it looked like England would lose, right up until the last half hour or so.

Gasvasker's double century at the Oval in the late 70's. England set India about 440 to win and India finished on about 430 for 8. It was brilliant to watch,, but not at the time when it looked like England would lose, right up until the last half hour or so.
Here’s the card

One I always remember was Lara’s 7 at OldTrafford in 2004, which included his 10000th test run.

Cracking day, weather was very unlike Manchester. Thorpe completed his ton earlier in the day before we skittled the Windies cheaply in the third innings, which include Lara’s modest return

Stokes at Headingley
Stokes in World Cup final
Cook throughout the 2010/11 Ashes

they are stand outs

Actually Bell at Durham in 2013 Ashes is special, in my home town too.

Went to nearly all the games last year, cost me a fortune but memories to last a life time.

Aye that Lee one is a good shout, showed some heart that day him

You were at Lords for the final?

Back