Best local players to never make it?

Best I played with was a lad called John Shotton who signed for Manchester United, but got injured and never made the first team. Was in the same year as Brian Atkinson, who played for our rival school, but I'd say John was the better player.

Probably stronger . Would have been a top player but Gascoigne had everything
Deffo stronger, certainly at that age he was like a man in a boys body. I reckon Bert had everything in as much he was an all round player. I don't think Gazza had the defensive part of his game, his skills were unbelievable but Bert was right up there too.

It's such a shame we never saw the two go head to head, or even play together.

Who’s the best local player or players you played with / saw that didn’t make it?

I had the pleasure of managing a young John Cogger from Thornhill School in his young days. He had trials and Man U and was on Rochdales books for a little while iirc. What a talent he was and a pleasure to be around. Him and his brother John. He used to run rings round everyone and scored worldies for fun. Them were the days.....

Remember one lad at school was absolutely outstanding, skilful, pacy, with a good shot and passing ability, and loads of stamina. Was in a Scotland underage team at about 15, but never played higher than a few games at East Stirling and Cowdenbeath.
Showed just how good pros need to be, even at that level.

Tommy Miller, had me on toast 5 a side league when we were about 14. Hated on here but was a cracking lad when I was a kid. Flying around Peterlee in an ugly yellow metro.

David Dowson, was in my youngest lads class. Had a great chance of making it, but word is he discovered night clubs?
Used to watch him play for Durham 10 years or so ago. He had a really arrogant attitude and with teammates too.It reeked of, 'I'm David Dowson and I should be playing at a better level than this and it's anyone's fault but my own that I'm not and you're lucky I'm playing for you'.

Back