Best local players to never make it?

Showed just how good pros need to be, even at that level.

I’ve played both with and against a few conference level players (still playing or recently retired at the time) and they are bloody unbelievable, makes you wonder what on earth it’d be like against the very elite

It’s not just the ball playing ability by a long way, one case played against a lad who’d just been let go by Kidderminster, he was running the show as expected, I usually made up for my lack of ability by being not afraid to get stuck in and generally being a bull in a china shop up front, he was in centre mid, thought right next time he gets the ball im smashing him, went for it, all he did was stuck an arm out and I’ve gone flying like a reyt tit

Otherwise reading of the game, played a weekend long tournement alongside a newly retired Pro who was playing centre half, did not break into a sprint all weekend and tournement was won barely conceding a goal on the way just new where everything was gonna land

Gav cogdon
Superb footballer.
Released because he was “too small “ at 15/16.
Could’ve easily played league football by the time he was 21.
Played with him and still speak to him now.
He’s a personal trainer now after having an unbelievable northern league level type of career that didn’t do him justice.

There’s hundreds that fall into that bracket though and luck has a lot to do with it.

Some of the players that never got that chance for one reason or another must dispair at lads who “made it “ that were in the right place at the right time type.

I could name dozens of lads from my playing days that deserved a chance at league football that never got that big break.

His son is doing very well at a club that none of us are fond of.

Last edited:
Peter Stronach.

Played against him and thought he was by far the best footballer at his age (that being 15). meanwhile. on my own team was Bryan Robson, who went on to captain England and Man Utd.

Shows that even when you're on the same pitch you can never really tell what the future holds

Last edited:
I don’t know anyone who was that close to pro footy personally but I know me granda was meant to be highly rated at hordan boys alongside many of that side including Colin bell.

Peter Stronach.

Played against him and thought he was by far the best footballer at his age (that being 15). meanwhile. on my own team was Bryan Robson, who went on to captain England and Man Utd.

Shows that even when you're on the same pitch you can never really tell what the future holds
Paul Walker same SAFC youth team as Stronach

Back