Best and Worst Football Commentators and Pundits

Another one for Barry Davies - great commentator and as a bonus it always felt to me that he had loads of passion for our games and always commented on the support.

Loved it when he was commentating on the England v Germany Hockey game and we scored - "Where were the Germans? But quite frankly, who cares?"

The worst ones are the ones that make it all about them.

That bloke who commentated on Sunderland v Swansea on the ITV highlights programme is so bad he makes Matterface sound half decent.

Strings whole sentences together using words which start with the same letter, the patronising, pretentious, prat.

I thought that Roger Tames was a Gooner.
So he said but we know other wise
Another one for Barry Davies - great commentator and as a bonus it always felt to me that he had loads of passion for our games and always commented on the support.

Loved it when he was commentating on the England v Germany Hockey game and we scored - "Where were the Germans? But quite frankly, who cares?"
One commentator during a world Cup lunch time game if your watching this how come your not at work lol Mexico 86 I think

Last edited:
I know he’s not popular on here but I loved Tyler in that period from early 90s to early 2010s.

Some amazing moments including Ji, Gerrard and Aguerrro

Another shout for Barry Davies. Brian Moore was also really good.
Matterface is almost unlistenable and Drury wouldn’t be so bad if he toned it down. He’s turned into a caricature of himself.
I’m presently watching the Marseilles game in TNT and I liked Jonathan Pearce talking about counter attacks whilst disparagingly mentioning “they’re referred to as transitioning or something these days”

Last edited:
I know he’s not popular on here but I loved Tyler in that period from early 90s to early 2010s.

Some amazing moments including Ji, Gerrard and Aguerrro
Tyler went too full on company man in his later years that’s why no one could stand him. Never forget him calling footballers key workers during the restart.

Back