Ben Wilson at Coventry (Former SAFC lad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was he the fast bowler? If it’s the lad I’m thinking he terrorised us in a second team game. Playing well below his standard that day.
Used to turn out for the seconds more for a bit crack than anything else. He’s a cracking bowler, pretty sure he had a chance to play cricket aswell when he was younger. I’ve played in a few games where he’s took 7 or 8 wickets. I think Bally used to go mad about him playing when he was at Sunderland so was one of the reasons he played 2nds (goes under the radar a bit more)
He’s a good lad and will do anything for anyone. All the cricket lads love him being around.

Used to turn out for the seconds more for a bit crack than anything else. He’s a cracking bowler, pretty sure he had a chance to play cricket aswell when he was younger. I’ve played in a few games where he’s took 7 or 8 wickets. I think Bally used to go mad about him playing when he was at Sunderland so was one of the reasons he played 2nds (goes under the radar a bit more)
He’s a good lad and will do anything for anyone. All the cricket lads love him being around.

Is he still playing at Tantobie like? I have faced him playing 2s, far too good for me!

Is he still playing at Tantobie like? I have faced him playing 2s, far too good for me!
I think he might have played a game or 2 last season when they were on. I hung up my whites a few years back after breaking my hand in a game and I’ve moved since. I saw him take a catch once that Jonny Rhodes or Paul Collingwood would have struggled to take, literally top corner type height and kept hold of it.
Hope he manages to get a few years in a decent team, think he deserves it. Looks like he’s took his opportunity with Coventry.

I hadn’t realised they were brothers - you’d think Kevin would have learned from his brother’s mistakes!

Their descents are similar but at least Sean was in the top flight in Ireland at the age of 32 according to Wiki, Kevin was in the Midlands Legaue at the same age
Kevin was the type of player that had you on the edge of your seat when the ball was at his feet, like I said earlier he could have gone to the very top of the game. Unfortunately he enjoyed the highlife off the field and it soon took its toll.

Was he the fast bowler? If it’s the lad I’m thinking he terrorised us in a second team game. Playing well below his standard that day.
Yeah that was him mate, way above second team level for sure.
Can never understand why some players who have all the ability in the world just seem to press the self destruct button and throw it all away. We had a player about 10 years ago called Kevin Thornton, I think his brother played for Sunderland. He had the potential to be anything he wanted but wasted the opportunity and faded into obscurity.
I haven’t heard about Wilson’s misdemeanours but hopefully they’re all in the past.
His brother Sean should have played for a good premier league club if he was not such a waster. Best set piece taker I have ever seen in an SAFC shirt. Remember he came on in championship after falling out with McCarthy, we were 1 nil down, he came on and scored a free kick and got 2 assists from corners. Me and my mate walked home saying he is that good he could sit and have a wank on centre circle but take our set pieces, and he would still be worth playing.

Last edited:
Kevin was the type of player that had you on the edge of your seat when the ball was at his feet, like I said earlier he could have gone to the very top of the game. Unfortunately he enjoyed the highlife off the field and it soon took its toll.
Sounds very much like Sean. I remember the pre-season game against Hibs in 2003, the lads in front of us were calling him “the ugly Beckham”

Sounds very much like Sean. I remember the pre-season game against Hibs in 2003, the lads in front of us were calling him “the ugly Beckham”
Remember him against Chelsea? 19 year old in a side about to be relegated and was best player on pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back