ben stokes for england odi squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the scorecards from the England performance party looks like Ben has been the stand out player on their short tour to India. Batting at six in the order scored runs at a quick rate and also taking wickets. Don't know how strong the opposition was but would not be surprised if he got a chance when England return to India in the new year for the ODIs.

Looking at the scorecards from the England performance party looks like Ben has been the stand out player on their short tour to India. Batting at six in the order scored runs at a quick rate and also taking wickets. Don't know how strong the opposition was but would not be surprised if he got a chance when England return to India in the new year for the ODIs.

He can't play spin which is a major problem come the odis

He'll get his chance soon enough, bright future ahead of him

Eddy - "Playing spin" will come with experience I reckon..

These trips to India or turning pitches will be helping.

experience will him.

Can't say I've noticed him having problems "playing spin". Can't say I've heard/read anyone say he has problems "playing spin" until I read this thread.

I'm not doubting that but it's better he gets experience with the performance squad than throwing him in at the deepend and him losing his confidence. Plenty of time for the lad.

experience will him.

Can't say I've noticed him having problems "playing spin". Can't say I've heard/read anyone say he has problems "playing spin" until I read this thread.

He plays against such few spinners in the cc but when he has done he's looked poor tahir had him all ends up and in the odi/t20 games he didn't have a clue dismissed 3times out of 4 innings against spin in England.

Cracking lad. Hopefully this season will be the one that sees him really hit the big time.

He plays against such few spinners in the cc but when he has done he's looked poor tahir had him all ends up and in the odi/t20 games he didn't have a clue dismissed 3times out of 4 innings against spin in England.

I remember, Cook or someone from Durham mentioning on how Stokes had to work on playing spin as he struggled against it. Th every next match he hit 5 6's in a row and a single from a spinner (Dawson i think). He doesn't seem to manouver the ball around too well, mostly block or swing but this will only improve with experience. Hope he does get called up to the team. Could put some serious pressure on being reserve for the Ashes and going to Australia.

I'm not doubting that but it's better he gets experience with the performance squad than throwing him in at the deepend and him losing his confidence. Plenty of time for the lad.

your the 1st person I'm aware of who has mentioned that about Stokes

Well the members mustn't be watching very hard as out of his 7 dismissals in the pro40 6 where against spin and the other dismissal he never saw a spin bowler

Maybe they aren't paying much attention, personally not fussed. Just saying this is the 1st time I've read such thing about Ben Stokes.

Well the members mustn't be watching very hard as out of his 7 dismissals in the pro40 6 where against spin and the other dismissal he never saw a spin bowler

In fairness with the starts Stoneman and Mustard gave Durham the likes of Stokes would have played most of their cricket against slow bowlers in the middle overs so its not such a surprise. He did struggle against quality spin in his fleeting England games.

From what I have seen, he has a terrific eye and fairly limited technique. A long way from being a test batsman

Was thinking more of him as a one day allrounder than a test class batsmen at this stage. England are always looking for players who can hit the ball out of the park at certain times in matches and he has shown he can do that. Also due to injury had never seen Ben bowl till last summer and was quite impressed.

Was thinking more of him as a one day allrounder than a test class batsmen at this stage. England are always looking for players who can hit the ball out of the park at certain times in matches and he has shown he can do that. Also due to injury had never seen Ben bowl till last summer and was quite impressed.

I think he really has to be in our ODI side. I hate watching people like Kieswetter and Bopara mess up chance after chance when we have a genuine quality all rounder in Stokes needing games!

In terms of the tests too I see no reason why he shouldn't be knocking on the door. Yes he needs runs to make the selectors take notice, but even a good run in the ODI side could catapult him in there if we have a few injuries. Technique is not the be all and end all, look at Cook when he first got in the side, Strauss has never had a technique, and Colly looked awful at times but scored a lot of runs. Luckily the selectors have worked out that success is down to a number of things, mainly whats upstairs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back