Being Gracious in Defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back then our fans were class. Wouldn’t happen with the current generation of whingers and early leavers, sadly. A very different mentality nowadays

I was just reading a thread on the Charlton forum about their memories of the 1998 playoff final, almost all of them comment on the class shown by our supporters that day, I've also seen similar stories from Man CIty fans in 2014. On the other hand it's funny how Portsmouth fans couldn't even be gracious after they won a few weeks back!

I guess it shows what kind of supporters we are, we can recognise we're all football fans at the end of the day. Having said all that, I prey that come tomorrow Charlton fan's aren't once again talking about how we were good/ bad sports after another wembley loss!!

God im nervous.

(FWIW I don't think I've ever seen a better write up of our fans then this thread) "THE GREATEST GAME" - CHARLTON V SUNDERLAND 1998 - SUPPORTER MEMORIES

Just Keep the Faith mate!... all will come good in the end! We know it will!......

I was just reading a thread on the Charlton forum about their memories of the 1998 playoff final, almost all of them comment on the class shown by our supporters that day, I've also seen similar stories from Man CIty fans in 2014. On the other hand it's funny how Portsmouth fans couldn't even be gracious after they won a few weeks back!

I guess it shows what kind of supporters we are, we can recognise we're all football fans at the end of the day. Having said all that, I prey that come tomorrow Charlton fan's aren't once again talking about how we were good/ bad sports after another wembley loss!!

God im nervous.

(FWIW I don't think I've ever seen a better write up of our fans then this thread) "THE GREATEST GAME" - CHARLTON V SUNDERLAND 1998 - SUPPORTER MEMORIES

You were absolute class of the highest order in 1990.
I could not get over it and equally lived on in the memories of Swindon fans.

The '98 playoff was the first and last footy game I took my daughter to... I'd worked with a contractor in London for a while and when they asked if I was interested in a a couple of tickets to a box they had I snapped at the chance... thought it would be full of Charlton fans, but no, apparently they had a branch office in Sunlan'! Had a wonderful time there... my daughter who was about 7 started very quiet... but as the goals went in then she was jumping up & down and screaming at the top of her voice just like everyone else! Wot a day!.... but, when we lost... I was devastated... just shut down inside and barely said a word to my daughter on the train back home... just completely emotionally and physically f*cked after that game! I was at the semi in '73... and the Man City replay a little later, both of which were huge big moments.. but that one, to this day, still brings a tear to the eye... I only plucked up the courage to see the video last year after all this time! ;)

The '98 playoff was the first and last footy game I took my daughter to... I'd worked with a contractor in London for a while and when they asked if I was interested in a a couple of tickets to a box they had I snapped at the chance... thought it would be full of Charlton fans, but no, apparently they had a branch office in Sunlan'! Had a wonderful time there... my daughter who was about 7 started very quiet... but as the goals went in then she was jumping up & down and screaming at the top of her voice just like everyone else! Wot a day!.... but, when we lost... I was devastated... just shut down inside and barely said a word to my daughter on the train back home... just completely emotionally and physically f*cked after that game! I was at the semi in '73... and the Man City replay a little later, both of which were huge big moments.. but that one, to this day, still brings a tear to the eye... I only plucked up the courage to see the video last year after all this time! ;)

Your memory is worse than mine, the City replay was before the semi. I had my daughter at the Charlton play off, never been so drained after a match in all my life

My most vivid memory was of a young maybe 9 year old Sunderland lad in tears on Wembley Way, post match, with his dad. A couple of older Charlton fans came up and were sympathetic with the yougin. That lad will be about 30 now, let's hope the outcome is better for him this time.

If you have a couple of hours to spare it is a great read , page 1 will take about an hour :confused:. We are a decent bunch but like any club have a few knobs but fortunately for us most choose to go and watch Millwall

Is that all you ever say? Get you have some make believe rivalry with Millwall but repeatedly saying this is now tiresome. Hope we smash you today and then a Millwall supporter nicks your lunch money on the way home .

Is that all you ever say? Get you have some make believe rivalry with Millwall but repeatedly saying this is now tiresome. Hope we smash you today and then a Millwall supporter nicks your lunch money on the way home .
I found one of the Sunderland few knobs that all clubs have... he’s right here :lol::lol::lol:

Is that even English? Jog along fella.

And you are a Pompey fan defending a Charlton fan on a Sunderland forum. :lol:
Did you work that out all by yourself? He’s a clever boy. If you wait patiently by the door there will be a biscuit posted to you soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back