Beginners' DSLR Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KarlM

I fancy buying a camera but have very little idea of what I should be looking for. Can anyone recommend some DSLR cameras that would be handy for a beginner please? My budget can probably stretch to around £350 - hopefully that's enough to get something decent.
Thanks.

Most of the budget consumer SLRs are quite good these days. The main problem will be getting some decent lenses for your money as the "kit" lenses that tend to come with the camera bundles are never great quality.

Any idea what sort of things you will mainly take photos of? That will have a big bearing on the lens(es) you should buy.

It could be worth checking out the likes of MPB Photographic (I am sure some people on here have used them) to get a cheaper secondhand body with a 6 month warranty and give you more to spend on lenses (which they also do), but before that you probably need to play with some cameras, mainly to decide which brand and size suits you as once you go down the SLR route and "invest" in lenses you tend to be stuck with one manufacturer for eternity

Also don't rule out mirrorless cameras which do most of what an SLR does these days but in a smaller package.

Most of the budget consumer SLRs are quite good these days. The main problem will be getting some decent lenses for your money as the "kit" lenses that tend to come with the camera bundles are never great quality.

Any idea what sort of things you will mainly take photos of? That will have a big bearing on the lens(es) you should buy.

It could be worth checking out the likes of MPB Photographic (I am sure some people on here have used them) to get a cheaper secondhand body with a 6 month warranty and give you more to spend on lenses (which they also do), but before that you probably need to play with some cameras, mainly to decide which brand and size suits you as once you go down the SLR route and "invest" in lenses you tend to be stuck with one manufacturer for eternity

Also don't rule out mirrorless cameras which do most of what an SLR does these days but in a smaller package.
Thanks for that reply. I have nothing specific in mind. Just when I'm out and about. Probably landscapes and buildings etc. General things really.
Might pop go Jessops in the Metro Centre tomorrow then.

If you go Canon, the 50mm f1.8 is like £80 new and great value to learn on.
I was looking at a Canon earlier. Review said it was good for a novice. Also looked at a Nikon. As I say, I don't really know anything about them.

I was looking at a Canon earlier. Review said it was good for a novice. Also looked at a Nikon. As I say, I don't really know anything about them.
Truth be told, there isn't much difference at all. Some models of Nikon are better than Canons for the certain things and vice versa (say video for example). For someone who's at an entry level you're much better off getting the most modern you can afford, using the kit lens that comes with it and going from there. You'll find that you'll most likely just stick with whatever brand you start out with but don't worry too much about that, none of us can predict the future of how they're going to turn out 5 years down the line. You might get bored of it anyway.

Have a think of what the things you'd like to shoot most and we'll be able to give you some better direction from there.. like portraits, landscapes, street etc. or even just a bit of everything if you're not sure.

Truth be told, there isn't much difference at all. Some models of Nikon are better than Canons for the certain things and vice versa (say video for example). For someone who's at an entry level you're much better off getting the most modern you can afford, using the kit lens that comes with it and going from there. You'll find that you'll most likely just stick with whatever brand you start out with but don't worry too much about that, none of us can predict the future of how they're going to turn out 5 years down the line. You might get bored of it anyway.

Have a think of what the things you'd like to shoot most and we'll be able to give you some better direction from there.. like portraits, landscapes, street etc. or even just a bit of everything if you're not sure.
Probably just a bit of everything and anything. Buildings, the coast, landscapes. General things I suppose.

Could you maybe post some of the more modern ones I should be looking at for around £200-£300 please? I could probably stretch to £350 but I don't want to spend a fortune at this stage.

Probably just a bit of everything and anything. Buildings, the coast, landscapes. General things I suppose.

Could you maybe post some of the more modern ones I should be looking at for around £200-£300 please? I could probably stretch to £350 but I don't want to spend a fortune at this stage.
I've been looking at these so far:

Last edited by a moderator:
Either of those will be fine to get you going and see if you catch the bug. Don't expect them to be fantastic for anything fast-paced or in the dark, but you can always upgrade later (which is what most people's plans are anyway).

Can't comment on the Nikon because I know literally nothing about them (highlights the fact that you'll probably stick with whatever you buy first). The Canon 1200D is very low end, but will be fine for the basics. As a rule of thumb, your next upgrade should really be a new lens which can be as cheap as the 50mm f1.8 as I mentioned earlier.

Either of those will be fine to get you going and see if you catch the bug. Don't expect them to be fantastic for anything fast-paced or in the dark, but you can always upgrade later (which is what most people's plans are anyway).

Can't comment on the Nikon because I know literally nothing about them (highlights the fact that you'll probably stick with whatever you buy first). The Canon 1200D is very low end, but will be fine for the basics. As a rule of thumb, your next upgrade should really be a new lens which can be as cheap as the 50mm f1.8 as I mentioned earlier.
Canny - I just want something for a start up really. Are there any cameras you'd recommend for a bit more than the two above just in case?

Canny - I just want something for a start up really. Are there any cameras you'd recommend for a bit more than the two above just in case?
To be honest mate, I'm a bit further down the addict route than you are. I don't pay much attention to the entry level stuff. Generally though, you get what you pay for at that end, so the price isn't a bad guide at all really. I had a 450D with kit lens for about a year and started getting the itch to upgrade from there. Be willing to sell a kidney not too far in the future. :lol:

To be honest mate, I'm a bit further down the addict route than you are. I don't pay much attention to the entry level stuff. Generally though, you get what you pay for at that end, so the price isn't a bad guide at all really. I had a 450D with kit lens for about a year and started getting the itch to upgrade from there. Be willing to sell a kidney not too far in the future. :lol:
Righto. Cheers for your help mate. Like I say, I just want something handy for a novice so I can get to grips with it and just get out and about. I'm going to the Metro Centre tomorrow so I'll have a crack on with one of the staff.

Righto. Cheers for your help mate. Like I say, I just want something handy for a novice so I can get to grips with it and just get out and about. I'm going to the Metro Centre tomorrow so I'll have a crack on with one of the staff.
Really wouldn't recommend buying from Jessops or anything. Unless they've changed recently they'll happily add £100 on to online retailer prices for not reason at all.

Really wouldn't recommend buying from Jessops or anything. Unless they've changed recently they'll happily add £100 on to online retailer prices for not reason at all.
It was mainly to get some opinions on what I should be looking for. I've seen things cheaper elsewhere but I can't think of any other camera shops localish.

Make sure you go into a shop and have a play about with the cameras you're thinking of buying. Even if you intend to buy online you need them in your hands first to see how they feel.

Might sound daft, but you'd be surprised at how big a difference it can make.

I've just started and got tye Nikon 3200. I love it, easy to use and decnt quality pics. I don't think I'll go past entry level as its decent imo...

I've just started and got tye Nikon 3200. I love it, easy to use and decnt quality pics. I don't think I'll go past entry level as its decent imo...
Traditional path is to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade spending huge amounts of cash, without actually buying anything decent like a phase one, then decide you don't like photography any more ;) @oROSSo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back