beginner advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

anth

Winger
I'm looking at getting my first DSLR for Christmas. I'll mainly use it for taking photos of my dogs. Some stills but a lot of action shots of them doing agility. This kind of thing
Logon or register to see this image

But obviously it would get used other times, got a couple of weddings next year for example.

I don't want to spend a fortune as I am going to be learning. So it was looking at the entry level canon eos 1100d and nikon D3100. Both as a kit with a 18-55mm lens since it seems like the best deal to get started. I am leaning more towards to nikon. Will either of these be able to replicate that type of photo? I am guessing i'll need a shutter speed of at least 1/500 or 1/1000. Not sure what that means for exposures.

Will that standard lens give enough zoom/detail at a distance of about 10-20m away, or will i need a bigger lens? Maybe something like a 55-200?

I've read getting started stickied tread but that is a lot of information to take in. I just want to get something in my hand and start trying different things :cool:

Both of those are good beginner DSLR's. Like most on here (but especially AB :lol:) I reckon you should go with the one that feels right in your hands.

you might struggle to get those kinds of shots with the kit lens (18-55 or whatever it is), so the 55-200 is a possibility. I found the bog standard 55-200 lens from Canon and Nikon to be pretty decent, especially when I'd just stepped into the SRL world. The difference from the average compact is huge.

Image quality is going to be difficult to nail if the shows are inside mind. Especially if your using a telephoto lens and entry level DSLR.

Welcome :cool:

yea, I've been reading that indoor shows will be hard due to lack of light, and flashes are totally out of the question. Most of the shows will be outdoors anyway. Would there be a better lens for this kind of photography than that 55-200, there are so many out there. Obviously price is a big issue.

is it worth waiting for the January sales or will the prices remain constant until the new models are more available? What is the thoughts on buying second hand? I've had a nosey on ebay and the D3100 doesn't see much cheaper than I've seen for new, roughly 40-50quid difference.

Not really sure about buying 2nd hand mate. I think most bodies do tend to retain value so not that much to be gained. Someone may correct me on that mind.

Also, I use Canon, panasonic before that so can't help with the brand debate you're having. Love my canon and one great benefit is that you can pick up a lot more accessories and lenses cheap / 2nd hand with the leading brands because there's so much out there.

You could try here for cameras - http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/category/Cameras/Canon,l.html

Grey import so you save some cash but give up some warranty. Have a play about in Jessops if you want to get a feel for the body. I'd recommend that.

I would second the comments on getting a longer lens. Get the 18-55mm for sure as you'll no doubt want to do landscapes at some point. However for your dog shows you'll want a longer lens.

I have a Sigma 70-300 which seems to work well in low light. Will you be able to use a tripod?

I am puzzled on your thinking here. At the fast shutter speeds he is talking about what would a tripod add?

To the OP, I don't think you will have much trouble outdoors, but you aren't going to get a fast shutter speed indoors with a cheaper lens as they won't open up as wide. The cheaper cameras don't perform as well at the higher ISOs (sensitivities), but still if you have a budget my advice would be concentrate on the lens first and spend your money on that before the body.

Its is always going to be tricky, a faster shutter speed = larger aperture = less depth of field = harder top focus on the fast moving subject!

Its is always going to be tricky, a faster shutter speed = larger aperture = less depth of field = harder top focus on the fast moving subject!

that actually makes sense from what I've read over the last few days :eek:

So better quality lenses will give a larger aperture than cheaper ones? Which would increase depth of field, therefore easier to focus on those moving subjects!

So better quality lenses will give a larger aperture than cheaper ones? Which would increase depth of field, therefore easier to focus on those moving subjects!

Nope, not that simple sadly - larger aperture means smaller depth of field but it does mean you can keep the shutter speed up because it lets more light in.

The more expensive lenses will normally allow a larger aperture and for any given aperture will normally perform better than a cheaper lens (generalising a bit here but you get the idea).

Read up on "burst mode" too, it will be useful for you.

just found some interesting information. Some pictures that were taken by a pro have been uploaded from a show we were at recently, have the details of what the photographer used. They are

Nikon D7000
Focal length ranges from 100mm upto 200mm depending on photo
focal length (35mm) ranges from 150mm-300mm depending on photo not sure what the difference to the above is.
Max lens aperture f/2.8
Exposure 1/400 at f/2.8
IOS3200

obviously that is a better camera than I am looking at but if i get a 70mm-300mm sigma or tamron lens to use I should be able to mostly replicate all of that.

just found some interesting information. Some pictures that were taken by a pro have been uploaded from a show we were at recently, have the details of what the photographer used. They are

Nikon D7000
Focal length ranges from 100mm upto 200mm depending on photo
focal length (35mm) ranges from 150mm-300mm depending on photo not sure what the difference to the above is.
Max lens aperture f/2.8
Exposure 1/400 at f/2.8
IOS3200

obviously that is a better camera than I am looking at but if i get a 70mm-300mm sigma or tamron lens to use I should be able to mostly replicate all of that.

Not sure what the ISO range of the entry level cameras is but 3200 doesn't sound unreasonable. A lens that gives you f/2.8 throughout the range of focal lengths is going to set you back a few ££. The Sigma only goes to f/4 IIRC and at longer lengths down to f/5.6.

you don't say!! major money for that lens. What effect would the cheaper lens with the higher aperture have?

The higher the number, the smaller the aperture, so less light gets in. To compensate for this you'll need a slower shutter speed so will get movement blur and if you're using a long focal length you'll probably get camera shake too, so a tripod might come in handy.

The higher the number, the smaller the aperture, so less light gets in. To compensate for this you'll need a slower shutter speed so will get movement blur

what would happen if i keep the shutter speed fast? Will it come out dark because it is not getting enough light? Is there a guideline for which aperture is required for each shutter speed? Or is there more too it than that such as lighting conditions, i presume a poorer lens would be helped by a bright sunny day compared to an indoor equestrian centre?

what would happen if i keep the shutter speed fast? Will it come out dark because it is not getting enough light? Is there a guideline for which aperture is required for each shutter speed? Or is there more too it than that such as lighting conditions, i presume a poorer lens would be helped by a bright sunny day compared to an indoor equestrian centre?

If you shoot in aperture priority mode the camera will set the shutter speed to get what it thinks is the correct exposure and vice versa. Shooting in aperture, you would be adjusting aperture to get the appropriate shutter speed. Beyond that, you'd be adjusting the ISO.

Better lighting conditions would obviously help you to shoot with lower ISO to achieve the required aperture and ss.

If most of the events are outside then achieving the desired ss at a lower ISO shouldn't be that much of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back