Bede surgery on Dundas Street: any advice?

My Ma is in care. Her doctors' surgery is Monkwearmouth Health Centre on Dundas Street which is also mine and we are happy with the service provided.

The care home have just called me to ask my permission to change my Ma's doctor surgery to Bede Medical Centre also on Dundas Street as they are trying to get all residents under the same surgery "for streamlining of service and efficiency". Apparently two doctors from Bede call at the home every fortnight to give all their patients an MOT.

I've okay'ed the move but just thought I would poll the collective wisdom of the SMB for any relevant remarks.

Cheers in advance!

Last edited:

My Ma is in care. Her doctors' surgery is Monkwearmouth Health Centre on Dundas Street which is also mine and we are happy with the service provided.

The care home have just called me to ask my permission to change my Ma's doctor surgery to Bede Medical Centre also on Dundas Street as they are trying to get all residents under the same surgery "for streamlining of service and efficiency". Apparently two doctors from Bede call at the home every fortnight to give all their patients an MOT.

I've okay'ed the move but just thought I would poll the collective wisdom of the SMB for any relevant remarks.

Cheers in advance!
It’s pretty standard now mate. Most ccg’s are trying to get care homes linked to an individual practice. They get a retainer payment and paid per care review too. Seems to go quite well and she’ll mostly see the same Doctor so she’ll get consistent care too.

Did this in my mums care home in Durham a few years ago, saw a big difference after Drs and nurses seeing her regularly, quicker to pick up on things as they got to know her and much easier for the home not having to contact different GPS all the time, hope this helps

Cheers in advance!
What does you're mam think ? Is there any way of finding out her wishes if she can't speak them plainly . Did she know her GP well and feel comfortable with him/her? Would she be disturbed by the change., having someone else examine her ? .
Its hard having elderly parents, mine's 91 and to the extent I can I just let her choose even if it causes bother. She's done as she wants all her life and asked no one so I will let that continue while I can.
I'm sure you have done the best by her mate and the home have too. Good luck.

We used to do a “ward round” at the homes when I worked in primary care. It’s a very good way of keeping an eye on things. We had one doctor who too ownership of it and things were very very good until she went on holiday and then we all had to learn the job very quickly until she returned.
It’s a yes from me. It’s a good move for your mam

Cheers in advance!
My family, including 85 year old father are with St Bede's and have no complaints about the quality of service from them.

What does you're mam think ? Is there any way of finding out her wishes if she can't speak them plainly . Did she know her GP well and feel comfortable with him/her? Would she be disturbed by the change., having someone else examine her ? .
Its hard having elderly parents, mine's 91 and to the extent I can I just let her choose even if it causes bother. She's done as she wants all her life and asked no one so I will let that continue while I can.
I'm sure you have done the best by her mate and the home have too. Good luck.

She has severe dementia and is incapable of making any informed decisions. She frequently resists attempts by medical/nursing staff to care for her. All I want as her appointed guardian is to ensure that the rest of her life is as comfortable as possible and that the care she receives is as good as is realistically possible given that she resists most of it.

She has severe dementia and is incapable of making any informed decisions. She frequently resists attempts by medical/nursing staff to care for her. All I want as her appointed guardian is to ensure that the rest of her life is as comfortable as possible and that the care she receives is as good as is realistically possible given that she resists most of it.
Well done you mate, it's hard to bare seeing them suffer , my mum is slipping now too and all we can do is the best we can as we make decisions for them.
I find with some homes that "incapable of making any informed decisions " threshold is often set too low if its not watched . What some mean is " its hard to sort this to our time scale without a hell of a clart on and a load of adjustment" , but human dignity and moreover the law demands they take all possible steps. Often older persons ability to communicate is temporal and may be in (extremely ) brief interludes but they must be used, often they will mix things up but we must try and draw their meaning from it. Hard work for all concerned including the resident, and I suppose there is an ethical choice over distress caused to maintain choice at the end of the day.
All the best to you and your mum, I hope she has a rest full day today.

Back